Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am doing an EPQ - this starts in Term 2. I want to do something not related to my subject choices: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing. I thought of doing something related to (Ancient) History, Linguistics or even Literature.
    My ideas so far include:
    Are the Kalash people related to Alexander the Great?
    An analytical essay on works of classic literature/philosophy (things like Virgil, Homer, Plato even people like Voltaire)
    Something on Proto-Indo-European
    How will crypto currency affect modern day banking
    An essay on historical events - Battle of Trafalgar, Crimean War, why did the HRE break up, Indo China under French control, who was to blame for the Crusades
    Maybe even Bostrom's idea of living in a simulation

Basically I have several things I'm interested but what I need are more specific ideas and if possible, resources and books to start reading
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ES_Indo)
    I am doing an EPQ - this starts in Term 2. I want to do something not related to my subject choices: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing. I thought of doing something related to (Ancient) History, Linguistics or even Literature.
    My ideas so far include:
    Are the Kalash people related to Alexander the Great?
    An analytical essay on works of classic literature/philosophy (things like Virgil, Homer, Plato even people like Voltaire)
    Something on Proto-Indo-European
    How will crypto currency affect modern day banking
    An essay on historical events - Battle of Trafalgar, Crimean War, why did the HRE break up, Indo China under French control, who was to blame for the Crusades
    Maybe even Bostrom's idea of living in a simulation

Basically I have several things I'm interested but what I need are more specific ideas and if possible, resources and books to start reading
    What's the reason you want to choose a topic unrelated to your subject choices? Students often pick an EPQ topic that's relevant to their aspirational university course because it helps to enhance their application. I guess if you're looking to go to university, it might be worth considering this.

Regardless, your ideas sound really good - I can tell you have a lot of interest in these areas! I think it's important to keep your title focussed, it's easy to pick a really broad topic and this can lead your project to lack focus and direction. Eg - "are the Kalash people related to Alexander the Great?" is a lot more suitable for the EPQ than "An analytical essay on works of classic literature/philosophy (things like Virgil, Homer, Plato even people like Voltaire)" which is far too open. I'd suggest starting by refining your ideas down - what aspects are you really really interested in? You'll have a lot more success writing about these.

Analysis, evaluation, giving both sides of the argument is what you really want in your EPQ. For this reason, I think titles beginning with "to what extent" are really good, for example. You can give my Full Guide to the EPQ a look, it might help you to get your ideas together.

In terms of research, I'm not a historian or anything like that, but I can suggest looking on Google Scholar for articles related to your subject area - another way you can use Google to find published articles (and even books) is to type keywords into the search bar and then choose "pdf" on the advanced search option. Books are a great place to start too, but don't feel like you have to read entire books. Have a pop down to the library to see what might be relevant. Also - don't limit yourself to one type of source. You should feel okay about using documentaries, accounts, etc.

Spoiler:
    Show

I'm going to move your thread over to the EPQ forum to help you get more specific replies

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.