Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

back day feeling like forearm day Watch

ReputationRep:
    on the big heavy lifts my back feels pumped, t-bar rows,bent over rows, deadlifts, I generally have no problem with my forearms. but for a couple machines, mainly lat pulldown my forearms are ****ed;i cant even power through the pain, they just give out altogether. anyone else feel like this? had this problem since day 1 so I just avoided lat pulldown for the longest time; but now I wouldn't mind a couple tips see if I can solve this problem
    please do not say pull with your elbows- I tried that ****

ReputationRep:
    I assume you're just doing regular pulldowns? Try using a much closer grip, like a v-grip handle, much less stress on the forearm area. Wide grip = wide lats is a total myth - any vertical pulling movement works the upper part of the lats that tie into the armpit area, which mostly grows outwards, thus creating width. Dorian Yates swears by this fact and claims to have nnever done a wide gripped pulldown or chin in his life, and he had arguably the widest back in bodybuilding history.

Failing that, you could try straight-arm pulldowns, which are actually my favourite lat width exercise as they totally isolate the lats and require much lighter weights than a standard pulldown, thus stressing your forearms less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKrPaheywB8

ReputationRep:
    It's possible you are gripping too hard. Loosen your grip, use suicide grip even; suicide grip is very useful on a lot of exercises, it's only dangerous on lifts like the bench press. Helps to take the forearms out (slightly) from any lift you do. Suicide grip on pulldowns isn't as easy if you are using heavy weight but just be conscious of how hard you grip the bar.

Another thing to try is dropping the weight and see if it still happens.

I would also do isolated forearm work in case they're a weak point on your body. There's a device called a sidewinder, I own the biggest one. You just twist it repeatedly to build forearm strength.

The TigerFitness exercise is extremely enjoyable to do by the way. I never knew what they were called before. Most people do it with a straight bar rather than rope, they're the most enjoyable back exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RockyDennis)
    The TigerFitness exercise is extremely enjoyable to do by the way. I never knew what they were called before. Most people do it with a straight bar rather than rope, they're the most enjoyable back exercise.
    Yeah, I prefer a fixed-grip sorta bar also, either a straight bar or a tricep pushdown bar depending on what's available.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.