Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student7659)
    Should I accept this job or stick to tutoring privately?
    What are you earning privately? How many hours do you get to work compared with what the tutoring centre will guarantee?

ReputationRep:
    I have been offered a job at a tuition centre which pays £6 an hour for the first month, followed by £7 after. Is this a decent hourly wage?
    Yh thats pretty standard. But it might be more reliable than private tuition. You can also take the job- then normally if students like you they will ask u for private tuition as well,so u can try do both.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N/A IS THE NAME)
    You can also take the job- then normally if students like you they will ask u for private tuition as well,so u can try do both.
    The tutorial centre would not like that. You'd have to check your contract, but it is, at best, unethical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    The tutorial centre would not like that. You'd have to check your contract, but it is, at best, unethical.
    If u ask them they may let u. coz my english tutor done the same thing, and we done one to one tuition at the centre
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    What are you earning privately? How many hours do you get to work compared with what the tutoring centre will guarantee?
    I missed that bit :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I earn 20 an hour privately and tutor 3 students weekly. My job at the tuition centre would be very flexible, so one week I could be working 10 hours and another I could be doing 20-30. Not sure I am okay with this either, might need to ask how far in advance they would tell me my hours each week so I can plan other stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's what I thought, do you know how this compares to cafe/shop assistant workers?
    I do barwork and waitressing in a restaurant for £7.05 an hour and I'm 24

£7 an hour when you're 18 and unqualified and don't have to deal with the general public is really decent

ReputationRep:
    I earn 20 an hour privately and tutor 3 students weekly. My job at the tuition centre would be very flexible, so one week I could be working 10 hours and another I could be doing 20-30. Not sure I am okay with this either, might need to ask how far in advance they would tell me my hours each week so I can plan other stuff.
    Definitely stick with private tuition! I earned more that £6 an hour even when working as a sales assistant at Debenhams when I was 18. In my opinion, it would probably look better on your CV working privately/for yourself as it shows organisational skills, independence etc.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't you be better off trying to expand your direct tutoring? It pays about three times as much.

If the tutoring centre is charging anything like what you do, then I don't think that they're giving you a good rate.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice! I decided to take the job offer

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.