Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have a few questions concerning my personal statement:

1) During my final year, I will have to write an extended essay about a topic of my choosing where I have to do a lot of researching. My topic has to do directly with the courses I am applying for, but as it's not yet finished, am I allowed to mention it?

2) I have repeatedly used "I" in my statement (36 times). Is that too many times? In my opinion, since I am talking about myself, it shouldn't be a problem but I just wanted to make sure.

3) I didn't do any extra-curricular activities that have to do with my chosen subject except giving private lessons. I've only written about 100 characters and I don't know how I could expand it more. Should I leave it like that or cut that part out to dedicate the characters to something else?

4) What is the best way to structure my PS, a paragraph for every different subject I'm talking about or should it just be one whole body? I previewed my PS on UCAS and realised that they count lines between paragraphs as entire lines... If I want that the paragraphs are divided, I will have to cut down 7 lines...

ReputationRep:
    Hi, unfortunately I'm not sure about your first two questions, but for the second two:

Even if you haven't done any extra curricular activities about your chosen subject, any extra stuff would be useful as long as you can relate it to self improvement or how it has helped you as a person. Keep the private lesson part in tho, it demonstrates that you know more about the subject than most might think.

When your writing your PS on a seperate document, keep paragraphs in, but when your then actually putting it across onto UCAS, get rid of them. It'll help you organise things!

Hope I could help a little
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjolly11)
    Hi, unfortunately I'm not sure about your first two questions, but for the second two:

Even if you haven't done any extra curricular activities about your chosen subject, any extra stuff would be useful as long as you can relate it to self improvement or how it has helped you as a person. Keep the private lesson part in tho, it demonstrates that you know more about the subject than most might think.

When your writing your PS on a seperate document, keep paragraphs in, but when your then actually putting it across onto UCAS, get rid of them. It'll help you organise things!

Hope I could help a little
    Thank you, I decided to keep the part with the private lessons

My PS barely fits on UCAS and it looks like this (attached). Doesn't it look a bit unprofessional? I get the feeling that the person reading it won't get a good overview... I'm afraid that the Admissions Tutor will be annoyed by the layout and skim the text :/
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    UCAS gets rid of the paragraphing, if you look by copying and pasting this across onto word the paragraphs will reappear..!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BDunlop)
    UCAS gets rid of the paragraphing, if you look by copying and pasting this across onto word the paragraphs will reappear..!
    No it doesn't - UCAS preserves line breaks (including additional line breaks). It only strips out indents and multiple spaces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    No it doesn't - UCAS preserves line breaks (including additional line breaks). It only strips out indents and multiple spaces.
    Sorry, what I meant was it looks like it gets rid of it because you can't see the line breaks between paragraphs, apologies.

ReputationRep:
    I think it looks fine! The only other thing I could say about it is to even put the lengths of the paragraphs slightly maybe.
    Like one of those paragraphs has one word on a seperate line, maybe you could move something from a larger paragraph into that one?
    Evening out the paragraphs might help the layout look a little more even and professional.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BDunlop)
    Sorry, what I meant was it looks like it gets rid of it because you can't see the line breaks between paragraphs, apologies.
    That's just Track - universities see line breaks as it appears in Apply

ReputationRep:
    1) That sounds like the EPQ - on the basis that it is, or something similar, if you know that it will be related to the topic, then by all means put it in, particularly if you'll get a grade. It shows that extra level of interest - saying something like 'I intend to ...' usually works.

2) I came across this problem too, and I was told that the best thing to do is 'not to worry about using I too much, as long as it is used craftily'. The second example is clearly better than the first (both are made up) -

'I have (eg) chosen Physics. I like it very much; I have a particular interest in astrophysics. I find stars and constellations fascinating.'

'My strong interest in Physics has made it my ultimate choice; I have researched astrophysics in great depth, and find stars and constellations fascinating.'

Doing something like that helps to adjust usage of 'I'; use 'my' and 'this ____ me' occasionally to spice it up.

cjolly11 hit the nail on the head perfectly with the other two questions.

ReputationRep:
    1. I'm assuming this is some kind of EPQ type thing, which yes, you should mention. Talk about why why you wanted to do that topic in particular and what research you have done in preparation for it, like reading relevant books etc.

2. Restructure your sentences - "I really enjoy French because.. " to "French interests me because.." - "I was team leader of blah, which developed my.." to "Being the team leader of blah developed my ..." You could also try making it so that the 'I' is not at the beginning of the sentence e.g "I developed my teamwork skills as a volunteer for.." to "As a volunteer for ..., I developed my teamwork skills" Same as what @teenpolyglot said

3.You can still include irrelevent extra-curriculars by relating them to the 'transferable' skills you acquired/developed from doing them.

4. introduction - work experience/subject days at universities/relevent exp - other things like competitions/further reading/ EPQ/a-levels/podcasts - extra curriculars << This is how I structured mine, but obviously there are other ways to structure it. As you can tell, I mushed a lot of the stuff together, but if you connect them all together it's okay?

If you're struggling with cutting down your personal statement, get a stranger to read it and see what they say. Or just literally annoy ask as many as people as possible to read and edit your personal statement for you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Regarding number 3 - what about extra reading? Have you done any of that?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.