Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have any of you ever volunteered in a charity shop? What's it like? Watch

ReputationRep:
    After months of searching I've been unable to find a job that can fit around my A levels so I've decided to volunteer instead just to get some extra experience. I got a place at an Oxfam shop which starts next week and I'm pretty excited

For those of you that have volunteered in a charity shop before, how did you find it?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Moved to volunteering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lxlxlee)
    After months of searching I've been unable to find a job that can fit around my A levels so I've decided to volunteer instead just to get some extra experience. I got a place at an Oxfam shop which starts next week and I'm pretty excited

For those of you that have volunteered in a charity shop before, how did you find it?
    Hiya,
    I've been an Oxfam volunteer for a year and a half now. I'm in Year 13 now.

I was really nervous when starting but I came to really enjoy working there. I go on Saturdays for 2 hours and my roles include: working on the till on the shop floor, sorting out donations downstairs, steaming clothes etc. The manager is really laidback and is always willing to help you out. All the other volunteers are high school students so the atmosphere is really chilled whist working. We all get along (thankfully).
    It's unpaid work but I really do feel like I'm doing something worthwhile in my spare time. Plus, the skills you learn at Oxfam (or any other charity shop) will be beneficial when you apply for a paid job.

So that was my experience. I hope you enjoy volunteering as much as I do

ReputationRep:
    I started volunteering in one last month (RSPCA) and I'm enjoying it.

It's a very relaxed environment and I get on well with the other volunteers and employees. So far I've worked on the till, organised donations, arranged items on the shop floor and greeted customers.

Plus you get to know the time you're putting in is for a good cause, as well as being good for experience.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I volunteered in a Trussell Trust shop for my Bronze D of E volunteering when I was in year 10. I volunteered for one hour per week. I mainly sorted donations and it was really eye opening to see what people donated. Some people would donate clothes that had been washed and folded. Others would donate clothes that were dirty/stained and would just bung them in a bag!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lxlxlee)

Yeah I loved it. I helped organise the books, stock and clothes, also setting up prices for individual items We found a load of interesting items in storage, like Cellos and Trumpets and when customers aren't in the shop and we have nothing to do, we just talk about Game of Thrones and movies

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.