Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I haven't changed my bed for 9 months, how bad is this? Watch

ReputationRep:
    For one reason or another, I haven't got round to changing my bed for just over 9 months - I last changed it on January 18th after I moved into a new apartment, and I am changing it again today on Halloween as it has become seasonally grim and I have some time to do it.

It wasn't a conscious decision, and I used to change it about once a month before this year. I don't know how often you are supposed to change it, but I'm fairly sure 9 months is a bit long. I kept being very busy and just coming in from work and crashing.

It's only been me sleeping in it, and I've been going through a bit of a breakdown and losing track of time which is why it's not got done, but the sheet I last put on it was a brilliant white and now it is beige going green.

How bad is this?

Attachment 700276

Should I wash the sheets or bin them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clez)
    For one reason or another, I haven't got round to changing my bed for just over 9 months - I last changed it on January 18th after I moved into a new apartment, and I am changing it again today on Halloween as it has become seasonally grim and I have some time to do it.

It wasn't a conscious decision, and I used to change it about once a month before this year. I don't know how often you are supposed to change it, but I'm fairly sure 9 months is a bit long. I kept being very busy and just coming in from work and crashing.

It's only been me sleeping in it, and I've been going through a bit of a breakdown and losing track of time which is why it's not got done, but the sheet I last put on it was a brilliant white and now it is beige going green.

How bad is this?

its bad. so bad that you need to leave the house now and go buy some new bed sheets

ReputationRep:
    You should be changing your bed sheets ideally once a week due to the build up of bacteria. I guess you could wash your sheets and then iron them to kill all the bacteria, depending on its current state. Otherwise, I would say buy new sheets.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to change mine every 2 weeks, sometimes longer if I forget
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clez)

How bad is this?

I change my bed every week :eek: I'd give them a wash on a hot setting and see if they come out clean. Only bin them if they don't!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student7659)
    You should be changing your bed sheets ideally once a week due to the build up of bacteria. I guess you could wash your sheets and then iron them to kill all the bacteria, depending on its current state. Otherwise, I would say buy new sheets.
    It's this bad - the outside bit that was tucked under the mattress is close to the original colour, the darker bit is the bit that was in the bed.

Name:  dirty sheets.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  38.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware how bad this looks from the picture, but I haven't had a light working in my room for the last 6 months until I relented and bought some this week - I actually thought the sheet was a cream sheet as I also have those.

ReputationRep:
    LOL ffs

ReputationRep:
    Get new sheets and bin them!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    This is really quite bad. Bin them. They're not going to be salvageable.

I'm sorry to hear you have been going through a difficult time. Have you considered seeking professional help or support? You can always speak to your GP, or if you don't feel comfortable with that you could try speaking with the Samaritans or potentially Nightline.

Please ensure you change your sheets at least every two weeks and consider airing out, scrubbing and/or treating your mattress also. Make sure you're using a mattress protector as well as sheets. Please try your best not to forget as it is important not just for the sake of personal hygiene but for the benefit of your physical and mental health.

ReputationRep:
    Think of all the bed bug babies that could've been born in 9 months.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely get some more and bin the current ones. I set alarms and write reminders down for all my household chores. I wash my sheets about every 10 days.

ReputationRep:
    Bin it please. You can get new ones and start over again. At least now you'll want to wash the regularly, set a reminder or something. You can do this.

ReputationRep:
    throw that **** out....

ReputationRep:
    well it is Hallowe'en so your manky sheets will make excellent ghost costumes ....

:beard:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clez)
    It's this bad - the outside bit that was tucked under the mattress is close to the original colour, the darker bit is the bit that was in the bed.

Oh sheet.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to lick all your sheets clean

ReputationRep:
    😐😐

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini_1999)
    its bad. so bad that you need to leave the house now and go buy some new bed sheets
    Mini pls!! 😂😂😂😂😷
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clez)

Wash them with a pre-soak and see how they come out but they might be only good for scraps.

I used to know someone who struggled with keeping their sheets clean - one thing they would do was to put 3 or 4 bottom sheets on their bed - then they could just take off one and the sheet underneath would be cleaner (it's not a perfect solution but it is better than nothing if you're struggling). That and wearing pyjamas would help stop things getting quite this bad in future.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.