Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

will i be able to get into a history course at university with a D at history GCSE? Watch

ReputationRep:
    i have found some universities where history is not an a level requirement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizaeli)
    i have found some universities where history is not an a level requirement
    An important factor is what you have achieved academically since GCSE which would convince universities to take you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've been given unconditional offers from Newcastle, York, Manchester and Sheffield for archaeology and I didn't even do history at GCSE yet I read it all the time in my spare time and visit a lot of museums etc. As long as you strongly express the interest in you're personal statement and have a proven good academic record, they will most certainly give a place. Best of luck OP
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelofessence)
    I've been given unconditional offers from Newcastle, York, Manchester and Sheffield for archaeology and I didn't even do history at GCSE yet I read it all the time in my spare time and visit a lot of museums etc. As long as you strongly express the interest in you're personal statement and have a proven good academic record, they will most certainly give a place. Best of luck OP
    Are you on a gap year?

ReputationRep:
    lizaeli,

Your chances seem pretty unlikely, in all honesty.

You'd have to show a really deep commitment to the subject by reading lots of books and broaden your knowledge, understanding and interest by watching some documentaries and listening to some podcasts. You should also identify what the starting point for your passion for History is; it's all very well saying "I'm curious", but the most interested and dedicated candidates will be able to vividly describe the root of their interest in their personal statement. What got you first interested in History - a lecture you attended, perhaps? Have you been to any lectures or read any books on the subject?

What are your A Level subjects and what are your predicted grades for them? Do you study related subjects such as Government and Politics or English Literature?

angelofessence was most likely accepted by universities because they were able to express a very deep and genuine interest in the subject. In your case, you've already taken public exams in History but unfortunately your lower-than-desirable grade at GCSE means that you'd have to be doing excellently at A Level and have a really fantastic application. Did you have any extenuating circumstances at GCSE to explain your performance? I'm not trying to sound harsh; it's just that if you have a (genuine) reason as to why things didn't go so well for you at GCSE, that may well help your case.

All the best!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.