Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I posted not too long ago about people smoking right outside my room in uni halls. Well, I'm at a loss now. They're still out there smoking and my room is soon going to start smelling like a smoking shed.

- I've got maintenance to put draught excluder around my window
    - I've taped up the vent
    - I've got a plug in air freshener, a reed diffuser and a spray air freshener as well as a room spray and my perfumes
    - I've complained to reception who've said they'll "send out an email and put out a sign" and security patrolling at night will move people away. It's against the rules to smoke in the accommodation, including outside but within the gates.
    - And just now I've had to put tape around my window meaning I absolutely can't open it at all
    - I've repeatedly asked nicely for people to move a few steps further away if they have to smoke (when I say nicely I mean phrased like this: "please do you mind not smoking right outside the building, the windows are awful so all the smoke comes in my room. I don't smoke so the smell isn't pleasant." I'm not rude about it.

But I'm absolutely at my wits ends about this. Why is it so difficult to move 10 steps? I can smell the smoke at my room door, which is completely unacceptable as it's at the opposite end to my window. I struggle to do my uni work at my desk (right next to my window) because every 20 minutes someone is out there smoking away.

Why can't the accommodation team do more to implement the no smoking rule? Can't they fine students for doing so? I'd love it if they did that. They can smoke, but that have to go out the gate to do so. There's CCTV everywhere, so it would be easy to find out who's smoking.

I needed a rant right now. I'm trying to write an essay but I've ended up second-hand smoking instead. Am I being unreasonable?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say file a complaint and make sure it gets followed through [go yourself] and in the mean time try studying in a library

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amaraub)
    I'd say file a complaint and make sure it gets followed through [go yourself] and in the mean time try studying in a library
    I'm definitely going to keep nagging about it, it can't go on for the rest of the year. And I think I will try working in the library in the future. There's designated quiet areas I can go to which should be of help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    I'm definitely going to keep nagging about it, it can't go on for the rest of the year. And I think I will try working in the library in the future. There's designated quiet areas I can go to which should be of help.
    Sounds good. Good luck mate

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.