Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can an international apply as a home student for a foundation degree after doing a BA Watch

ReputationRep:
    Asking on behalf of my friend.

They just completed a 3 year BA(Hons) degree in an English University.
    This was as an International student, so fee's were paid there and then - as the University did not accept them as a home student.

However one of their parents is British, and my friend holds a British passport and nationality. They grew up in another non-EU country but have been living in the UK for the past 3yrs now. They have British citizenship etc etc and some uni's accepted them as a home student but they chose the one that did not due to reputation etc.

They would like to apply for a foundation course, in England, that lasts 2years - and would like to see if they can get student funding for this, if not they can not do this.

I read online that if a home UK student, completed at 3yr BA degree, but paid for it up front, they still would not get the support to do further courses afterwards.

"You’ll usually get student finance only if you’re doing your first higher education qualification - even if your previous course was self-funded."
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

However they were counted as International the first time - and this time they would be Home UK students, does this change anything?
    Can they get a student loan? If not, can anyone tell me what they can get, any kind of support?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Failinis)
    Asking on behalf of my friend.

They just completed a 3 year BA(Hons) degree in an English University.
    This was as an International student, so fee's were paid there and then - as the University did not accept them as a home student.

However one of their parents is British, and my friend holds a British passport and nationality. They grew up in another non-EU country but have been living in the UK for the past 3yrs now. They have British citizenship etc etc and some uni's accepted them as a home student but they chose the one that did not due to reputation etc.

They would like to apply for a foundation course, in England, that lasts 2years - and would like to see if they can get student funding for this, if not they can not do this.

I read online that if a home UK student, completed at 3yr BA degree, but paid for it up front, they still would not get the support to do further courses afterwards.

"You’ll usually get student finance only if you’re doing your first higher education qualification - even if your previous course was self-funded."
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

However they were counted as International the first time - and this time they would be Home UK students, does this change anything?
    Can they get a student loan? If not, can anyone tell me what they can get, any kind of support?
    Hi Failinis,

Students with a previous qualification are unable to receive support for a new course of an Equivalent or Lower Qualification even if they were not classed as a home student, i.e. any student, who has gained an HND, is unable to qualify for a Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan or a Maintenance Grant to study another HND. They would still be entitled to receive Supplementary Grants and the Disabled Students' Allowance, if applicable

Students are automatically deemed to be studying an Equivalent or Lower Qualification if they already hold an Honours Degree from an institution in the UK.

Thanks

Katie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine SFE)
    Hi Failinis,

Students with a previous qualification are unable to receive support for a new course of an Equivalent or Lower Qualification even if they were not classed as a home student, i.e. any student, who has gained an HND, is unable to qualify for a Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan or a Maintenance Grant to study another HND. They would still be entitled to receive Supplementary Grants and the Disabled Students' Allowance, if applicable

Students are automatically deemed to be studying an Equivalent or Lower Qualification if they already hold an Honours Degree from an institution in the UK.

Thanks

Katie
    Ah, that is disappointing for them, I will tell them to ring up Student Finance themselves tomorrow to double check for themselves.
    Thanks for the advice and quick reply.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.