Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just LOL if you're trying to lose weight without counting calories Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's like driving a car with your eyes closed

Do you take pleasure in not being sure if you are actually dropping bodyfat?

You're a mess

ReputationRep:
    You can go on scales and see if you are losing weight or not....
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    People who fuss about calories honestly need to relax. Just eat the right food and make sure you lower the amount of sugar and carbs you eat. Nothing special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JindleBrey)

You're a mess
    ?? Ok.

ReputationRep:
    LOL
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

You're a mess
    disagree m8 its not rocket science, just don't eat ****/don't eat a lot-chances are youll be at a calorie deficit and boom, ur losing body fat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angrypoliceman)
    disagree m8 its not rocket science, just don't eat ****/don't eat a lot-chances are youll be at a calorie deficit and boom, ur losing body fat
    To be honest, most people don't know that fat isn't broken down/used up when there are carbohydrates present. You have to limit the amount of carbohydrates to very very low/nothing to use your body fat as energy for processes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LunaCat)
    To be honest, most people don't know that fat isn't broken down/used up when there are carbohydrates present. You have to limit the amount of carbohydrates to very very low/nothing to use your body fat as energy for processes.
    I can have a 100% carb diet, as long as I eat less calories than I need my body will use up the fat stores-maybe I misunderstood what ur trying to say

ReputationRep:
    And no you don't necessarily need to count calories to lose weight, but it will take a long period of time.

If you want to lose weight quicker, it would be better to eat high fat content for 3-4 weeks, and limiting the amount of carbohydrates to ~40. It just means that after all the carbohydrates have been used, the body is forced to use fat for respiratory processes.

Believe or not it works, my brother tried this and although I didn't agree with it I think it's OK to do now. (after a certain age, like about ~18?)

Just keep in mind that high fat can cause heart problems though xx. So don't go on this diet if you have any problems.

ReputationRep:
    You can gain weight and be healthier (through muscle mass) so you might need to eat more calories due to a strict exercise regime/higher weight which spends more calories.

ReputationRep:

You're a mess
    Why are you so mad?

ReputationRep:
    I can have a 100% carb diet, as long as I eat less calories than I need my body will use up the fat stores-maybe I misunderstood what ur trying to say
    Yeah this js what most people do, but you also have to exercise otherwise nothing/little will happen ygm? And this takes a long time. It's not about calories, it's the type of food. You have 3 main things making up the calories right? Proteins, carbohydrates and fats.
    Protein is always needed anyway.
    Fat mostly gets stored isn't used up as much as carbs (only for hormones etc)
    Carbohydrates are the main energy source for your body's processes.

So your carbs are always getting used up...
    Fat stays stored UNLESS there isn't enough carbohydrates for your body ygm?

So you have to decrease the carbs to use the fat.
    Then after 3 or 4 weeks you can go back to eating normal gradually, and your body will still use a little bit of fat because it's gotten used to it.

It's called ketogenic diet, i cant remember :lol: don't take my words for it though, you can search it up too.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah this js what most people do, but you also have to exercise otherwise nothing/little will happen ygm? And this takes a long time. It's not about calories, it's the type of food. You have 3 main things making up the calories right? Proteins, carbohydrates and fats.

It's called ketogenic diet, i cant remember :lol: don't take my words for it though, you can search it up too.
    its not about calories???? - u need to refresh ur memory
    **** cardio I can lose weight without it, things will go slower without cardio? perhaps
    So you have to decrease the carbs to use the fat.-yeah this is effectively the deficit part I was talking about

ReputationRep:
    its not about calories???? - u need to refresh ur memory
    **** cardio I can lose weight without it, things will go slower without cardio? perhaps
    So you have to decrease the carbs to use the fat.-yeah this is effectively the deficit part I was talking about
    Thanks but I know what i'm on about and if you don't understand it's nit my problem.

Okay, let me know if it works then. Goodluck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but I know what i'm on about and if you don't understand it's nit my problem.

Okay, let me know if it works then. Goodluck
    sure bud, ill let u know how my cut goes

ReputationRep:
    And no you don't necessarily need to count calories to lose weight, but it will take a long period of time.

If you want to lose weight quicker, it would be better to eat high fat content for 3-4 weeks, and limiting the amount of carbohydrates to ~40. It just means that after all the carbohydrates have been used, the body is forced to use fat for respiratory processes.

Believe or not it works, my brother tried this and although I didn't agree with it I think it's OK to do now. (after a certain age, like about ~18?)

Just keep in mind that high fat can cause heart problems though xx. So don't go on this diet if you have any problems.

So you have to decrease the carbs to use the fat.
    Then after 3 or 4 weeks you can go back to eating normal gradually, and your body will still use a little bit of fat because it's gotten used to it.

So, to recap... you stop eating carbs, you eat more fats, then the body uses those fats as energy because there are no carbs left. Granted, fats are a secondary energy source that the body will turn to when there's a lack of free glucose available for energy... but how does this help you to lose weight when you're ingesting an abundance of fatty acids that the body can use? If you're in a caloric surplus even with 0 carbs, you will not lose any weight. If anything, you'll feel like crap due to an unnecessary lack of carbs. Your brother lost weight on this diet presumably because he used to eat a lot of carbs and cutting them out led to his overall caloric intake being reduced so he was in a caloric deficit. If we're going off anecdotal evidence as well, I can lose 3-4lbs a week on a balanced diet with around 40% of my calories coming from carbs.

You absolutely do not need any exercise do burn bodyfat. Exercise for fat loss purposes is merely an aid in burning more calories. The larger your caloric deficit, the quicker you lose weight, generally - this goes whether you have carbs in your diet or no, and whether your caloric deficit is induced by exercising more or eating less.

Googling a keto diet is just going to bring up a bunch of articles by so-called fitness "gurus". There's no compelling evidence to show that a low-carb or ketogenic diet is superior to a standard caloric deficit of the same amount of calories as said ketogenic or low carb diet. They're merely another fad, as the low fat diet once was. Just eat in a caloric deficit with a balance of macronutrients and you will lose weight, exercise or no exercise (though it's a good idea from a muscle maintenance and health perspective to at least get a good weight training routine on the go).

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I need to put on weight not loose it XD.

ReputationRep:

You're a mess
    Just LOL @ this thread, just LOL @ it

lel

ReputationRep:
    Diet of many packs of crisps has a lower calorie than a diet of vegetables and meat...does that mean a diet of crisps is healthier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yamxx)
    Diet of many packs of crisps has a lower calorie than a diet of vegetables and meat...does that mean a diet of crisps is healthier?
    Losing weight and being healthy are not synonymous. You can have a low weight and be unhealthy, and a high weight and be healthy (Muscle).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.