The Student Room Group

Is Cambridge unrealistic?

Hi,
I am aware that this is the typical 'are my grades good enough?' question but I'm posing it anyway. Avec the addition of some personal background information too.

I went to a state comprehensive school in Northern Ireland. Only 9 subjects at GCSE were offered. In these exams I achieved 6A*s and 3 As.

I obtained full marks (400/400) in my Spanish.
The 3As were in Maths, Music and Biology. I'm still terribly disappointed with my Biology - an A* was entirely possible but I under-performed on the day.

I'd like to study Modern and Medieval languages at Cambridge, it's my dream, although I fear it's unrealistic considering my GCSE profile. Some candidates in England have 12+ A*s.

I also come from a less affluent background, being in receipt of free-school meals and with neither of my parents studying at university. Although, I'm unsure to what extent this has an impact.

At A-level this year I'm studying Spanish, French, History and English Literature.I excel in these subjects and have a genuine passion for each. To expect 3A*s and an A ,I don't believe is over-ambitious.

I'd dearly appreciate a response. Should I neglect any hopes of getting into Cambridge and save myself of disappointment?

What is the typical academic profile of a successful applicant for Modern and Medieval languages at Cambridge?

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by divisionofjoy
Hi,
I am aware that this is the typical 'are my grades good enough?' question but I'm posing it anyway. Avec the addition of some personal background information too.

I went to a state comprehensive school in Northern Ireland. Only 9 subjects at GCSE were offered. In these exams I achieved 6A*s and 3 As.

I obtained full marks (400/400) in my Spanish.
The 3As were in Maths, Music and Biology. I'm still terribly disappointed with my Biology - an A* was entirely possible but I under-performed on the day.

I'd like to study Modern and Medieval languages at Cambridge, it's my dream, although I fear it's unrealistic considering my GCSE profile. Some candidates in England have 12+ A*s.

I also come from a less affluent background, being in receipt of free-school meals and with neither of my parents studying at university. Although, I'm unsure to what extent this has an impact.

At A-level this year I'm studying Spanish, French, History and English Literature.I excel in these subjects and have a genuine passion for each. To expect 3A*s and an A ,I don't believe is over-ambitious.

I'd dearly appreciate a response. Should I neglect any hopes of getting into Cambridge and save myself of disappointment?

What is the typical academic profile of a successful applicant for Modern and Medieval languages at Cambridge?

Thank you.

Did you look at the other "are my grades good enough" posts?

You're fine.
I don't see any reason why you shouldn't at least get an interview, provided you get given those predictions and a decent reference.
Reply 3
iN tHeSe ExAmS i AcHiEvEd 6a*S aNd 3 As
Blooming heck! So long as you continue to work hard, Cambridge is certainly within reach for you.
All the best!

Banana :h::h:
Reply 5
Feel like I'm telling this to every "are my grades good enough post", but in my opinion, if you love Cambridge and would like to be their student (which I know everyone wants to). Then give it a try! Just make sure you have some backup choice on your application. Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending