Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am aware that this is the typical 'are my grades good enough?' question but I'm posing it anyway. Avec the addition of some personal background information too.

I went to a state comprehensive school in Northern Ireland. Only 9 subjects at GCSE were offered. In these exams I achieved 6A*s and 3 As.

I obtained full marks (400/400) in my Spanish.
    The 3As were in Maths, Music and Biology. I'm still terribly disappointed with my Biology - an A* was entirely possible but I under-performed on the day.

I'd like to study Modern and Medieval languages at Cambridge, it's my dream, although I fear it's unrealistic considering my GCSE profile. Some candidates in England have 12+ A*s.

I also come from a less affluent background, being in receipt of free-school meals and with neither of my parents studying at university. Although, I'm unsure to what extent this has an impact.

At A-level this year I'm studying Spanish, French, History and English Literature.I excel in these subjects and have a genuine passion for each. To expect 3A*s and an A ,I don't believe is over-ambitious.

I'd dearly appreciate a response. Should I neglect any hopes of getting into Cambridge and save myself of disappointment?

What is the typical academic profile of a successful applicant for Modern and Medieval languages at Cambridge?

Thank you.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by divisionofjoy)
    Hi,
    I am aware that this is the typical 'are my grades good enough?' question but I'm posing it anyway. Avec the addition of some personal background information too.

I went to a state comprehensive school in Northern Ireland. Only 9 subjects at GCSE were offered. In these exams I achieved 6A*s and 3 As.

I obtained full marks (400/400) in my Spanish.
    The 3As were in Maths, Music and Biology. I'm still terribly disappointed with my Biology - an A* was entirely possible but I under-performed on the day.

I'd like to study Modern and Medieval languages at Cambridge, it's my dream, although I fear it's unrealistic considering my GCSE profile. Some candidates in England have 12+ A*s.

I also come from a less affluent background, being in receipt of free-school meals and with neither of my parents studying at university. Although, I'm unsure to what extent this has an impact.

At A-level this year I'm studying Spanish, French, History and English Literature.I excel in these subjects and have a genuine passion for each. To expect 3A*s and an A ,I don't believe is over-ambitious.

I'd dearly appreciate a response. Should I neglect any hopes of getting into Cambridge and save myself of disappointment?

What is the typical academic profile of a successful applicant for Modern and Medieval languages at Cambridge?

Thank you.
    Did you look at the other "are my grades good enough" posts?

You're fine.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any reason why you shouldn't at least get an interview, provided you get given those predictions and a decent reference.

ReputationRep:
    iN tHeSe ExAmS i AcHiEvEd 6a*S aNd 3 As

ReputationRep:
    Blooming heck! So long as you continue to work hard, Cambridge is certainly within reach for you.
    All the best!

Banana

ReputationRep:
    Feel like I'm telling this to every "are my grades good enough post", but in my opinion, if you love Cambridge and would like to be their student (which I know everyone wants to). Then give it a try! Just make sure you have some backup choice on your application. Good luck!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.