Turn on thread page Beta

I have two jobs at my university in my final year, but my tax code is BR...what the.. watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hey guys

    I'm super overwhelmed because I have two part-time jobs with the same company at my university, where I'm still studying in my final year. Today I got paid and I got taxed 20%. Both jobs are on the same payslip. My tax code is BR. Apparently it should only be BR if I have some other main form of income etc etc but I didn't think student finance counted towards this.

    I'm just not sure what to do next to get it changed or why it's BR or if I'm going to have to pay this all the time. It feels like so much money.

    Thanks x

    Your best bet is just to call up HMRC and discuss it with them. I’m guessing you don’t want to disclose your income and taxes online, at least you know it’s safe with them and they’ll advise you correctly and fix any errors immediately.

    Either your student finance is counted towards your total income or your tax code is wrong and you’ll be refunded + sent a new tax code.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2017
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.