Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well I have a problem that I feel like is eating me up. So I'm a Year 1 student and the A- Levels I'm Studying Economics Social Science, Biology and Mathematics. My friend don't do the same subjects nothing along the lines either. Anyways I feel like a right loser at the moment and I don't want this to lead on and make me depressed... Basically so far we've had alot of tests in our subjects. People are managing to get really high grades and on the other hand I'm averaging at a D...ive even got Us, I got Ds, Cs - once I managed to scrape a B. It's really really sad because I'm supposed to be getting Bs and everytime I don't they pull me up. They tell me I'm not working hard enough, they tell me if I don't then I'm not worthy of my seat. See the reason it's sad is because I'm trying... Im putting the effort in but im finding it hard to adjust - it's only been 2 months. Honestly Im crying because of the pressure - generally I'm an optimistic person - My ambitions are to get grade As and A*s and go to the top Universitys (after Oxbridge)... I feel like my ambitions get weaker and crushed everytime I get those grades. I feel like the teachers have lost faith in me, and soon enough they'll probably predict me Bs & Cs for my predicted grades leaving my dreams as a dream. I'll be honest, I'm probably seen as the most dumbest in the Class. I feel so *****y it's unbelievable - I got GCSE grades that everyone is really impressed with but what's the point If I can't do well in A LEVELS. I feel like it's time... Maybe I need time to get used to it - my goal is to change everything from day one of 2018, but then I think what if it's too late. Im working and working, I don't get time to do the things I want to and then there's people winging it. I feel like I can do exceptionally well... But one teacher told me that It's not a fairyland. Everyone's lost trust in me, teachers and soon enough family. I just don't want it to be myself. I was so so so motivated to do well for the Mocks but I already got one grade - D. Ive probably got similar grades and U in the rest. There's no motivation left... Regarding this topic and issue I've found no one relatable. It breaks my heart... It's like it's just grades but at the same time it's my future...I don't know what to do I feel so alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostplot)
    Well I have a problem that I feel like is eating me up. So I'm a Year 1 student and the A- Levels I'm Studying Economics Social Science, Biology and Mathematics. My friend don't do the same subjects nothing along the lines either. Anyways I feel like a right loser at the moment and I don't want this to lead on and make me depressed... Basically so far we've had alot of tests in our subjects. People are managing to get really high grades and on the other hand I'm averaging at a D...ive even got Us, I got Ds, Cs - once I managed to scrape a B. It's really really sad because I'm supposed to be getting Bs and everytime I don't they pull me up. They tell me I'm not working hard enough, they tell me if I don't then I'm not worthy of my seat. See the reason it's sad is because I'm trying... Im putting the effort in but im finding it hard to adjust - it's only been 2 months. Honestly Im crying because of the pressure - generally I'm an optimistic person - My ambitions are to get grade As and A*s and go to the top Universitys (after Oxbridge)... I feel like my ambitions get weaker and crushed everytime I get those grades. I feel like the teachers have lost faith in me, and soon enough they'll probably predict me Bs & Cs for my predicted grades leaving my dreams as a dream. I'll be honest, I'm probably seen as the most dumbest in the Class. I feel so *****y it's unbelievable - I got GCSE grades that everyone is really impressed with but what's the point If I can't do well in A LEVELS. I feel like it's time... Maybe I need time to get used to it - my goal is to change everything from day one of 2018, but then I think what if it's too late. Im working and working, I don't get time to do the things I want to and then there's people winging it. I feel like I can do exceptionally well... But one teacher told me that It's not a fairyland. Everyone's lost trust in me, teachers and soon enough family. I just don't want it to be myself. I was so so so motivated to do well for the Mocks but I already got one grade - D. Ive probably got similar grades and U in the rest. There's no motivation left... Regarding this topic and issue I've found no one relatable. It breaks my heart... It's like it's just grades but at the same time it's my future...I don't know what to do I feel so alone.
    From what i can see, you are capable of getting the grades you desire. I don't mean to be harsh however you obviously aren't trying hard enough. You need to be serious. if it means cutting off your friends, no social media and time to talk you need to do it. Focus. A levels are the key to go to the BEST universities you want. Dont feel disheartened with the grade you got now, IT DOESNT MEAN YOUR A FAILURE don't feel discouraged either. If you NEVER failed it means you wont learn! So to feel better and to get better grades YOU MUST PUT IN THE EFFORT. The grades wont come knocking on your door. You must EARN the grades. YOU CAN DO IT. It's up to you however with the outcome.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm a gap year student who finished his A-levels last summer, and I found this by chance, but I was literally in the same position as you in my first year. In some of my subjects, I couldn't get my head around the new essay structure (I took humanities mind you) and I'd always come out with U-D grades, and Cs if I was lucky. But I came out of college with A*A*A and an A* in EPQ. :gthumb:

What really helped me was telling my teachers that I wanted high grades, and figuring out ways that would help me wrap my head around new content. I looked at everything the exam boards produced and worked up to what their level of 'good' was. It is a lot easier said than done, I know, but you're only in your first term and you've got a lot of growing space. If your teachers set you homework, do it. If they have extra questions and work you can do, always do it. Any opportunity they give you to spend an extra second on your work, you need to take it! It'll put you in a better position mentally too, because you'll know you're putting in the hard work. Absolutely any grade is achievable by anyone, so don't let your teachers get you down with their low morale! And if you have the money, it can't hurt to try and get a tutor of some sort if you think the extra help would do you any good.

I used to get really stressed out thinking about how I would need to get good grades by X month, or completely turn around in the new year, but the truth is.. sometimes you can't work within these designated time-slots, and that's okay. Sometimes you might need a couple extra months to turn that C into a B, and so on. It's good to set goals, but if you know how badly it might crush you if you fail to achieve them, pull back a little! And set goals that you know you can achieve; it's a lot easier to go up by one grade every month than it is to say to yourself that you'll be getting A*s in a week. If it's more helpful to tell yourself that you aim to get 10%, or even 5%, more in the next maths test you take, work towards that instead of the flip from 0 to 100 overnight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themachinest0ps)
    Hey! I'm a gap year student who finished his A-levels last summer, and I found this by chance, but I was literally in the same position as you in my first year. In some of my subjects, I couldn't get my head around the new essay structure (I took humanities mind you) and I'd always come out with U-D grades, and Cs if I was lucky. But I came out of college with A*A*A and an A* in EPQ. :gthumb:

What really helped me was telling my teachers that I wanted high grades, and figuring out ways that would help me wrap my head around new content. I looked at everything the exam boards produced and worked up to what their level of 'good' was. It is a lot easier said than done, I know, but you're only in your first term and you've got a lot of growing space. If your teachers set you homework, do it. If they have extra questions and work you can do, always do it. Any opportunity they give you to spend an extra second on your work, you need to take it! It'll put you in a better position mentally too, because you'll know you're putting in the hard work. Absolutely any grade is achievable by anyone, so don't let your teachers get you down with their low morale! And if you have the money, it can't hurt to try and get a tutor of some sort if you think the extra help would do you any good.

I used to get really stressed out thinking about how I would need to get good grades by X month, or completely turn around in the new year, but the truth is.. sometimes you can't work within these designated time-slots, and that's okay. Sometimes you might need a couple extra months to turn that C into a B, and so on. It's good to set goals, but if you know how badly it might crush you if you fail to achieve them, pull back a little! And set goals that you know you can achieve; it's a lot easier to go up by one grade every month than it is to say to yourself that you'll be getting A*s in a week. If it's more helpful to tell yourself that you aim to get 10%, or even 5%, more in the next maths test you take, work towards that instead of the flip from 0 to 100 overnight.
    Wow thank you so much...that was such a helpful/motivational insight. I can see exactly the point you're making. Thank You So Much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_ambitious)
    From what i can see, you are capable of getting the grades you desire. I don't mean to be harsh however you obviously aren't trying hard enough. You need to be serious. if it means cutting off your friends, no social media and time to talk you need to do it. Focus. A levels are the key to go to the BEST universities you want. Dont feel disheartened with the grade you got now, IT DOESNT MEAN YOUR A FAILURE don't feel discouraged either. If you NEVER failed it means you wont learn! So to feel better and to get better grades YOU MUST PUT IN THE EFFORT. The grades wont come knocking on your door. You must EARN the grades. YOU CAN DO IT. It's up to you however with the outcome.
    I totally understand...Thank You

ReputationRep:
    Wait, your in year 1 and doing your A-Levels?
    wow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NBingham)
    Wait, your in year 1 and doing your A-Levels?
    wow
    ...first year student....

ReputationRep:
    ...first year student....
    I guessed that, and assumed a typo error, where you were supposed to write 12

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NBingham)
    I guessed that, and assumed a typo error, where you were supposed to write 12
    ohh lol 😂...my college is separate - not a sixth form, so we call it Year 1

ReputationRep:
    I feel you. I really do. Use this to come back. Create a vision for yourself. Start small and aim high. Start a studyblr. Studyblrs aren't all about aesthetic although they can be, they really help you to get your work done. I've had one for less than a week and i'm already noticing differences in terms of productivity. Message me if you need any further help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeletonclique21)
    I feel you. I really do. Use this to come back. Create a vision for yourself. Start small and aim high. Start a studyblr. Studyblrs aren't all about aesthetic although they can be, they really help you to get your work done. I've had one for less than a week and i'm already noticing differences in terms of productivity. Message me if you need any further help
    Thank you so much... This sounds hopeful, what is studyblr??
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much... This sounds hopeful, what is studyblr??
    No worries! Basically, it's a tumblr blog where people post pictures of their work, tips on revision and stuff and some useful resources such as calendars etc. Or you could make a studygram which is a similar thing but over on instagram. It's not for everyone but if it sits well with you, it will make a positive difference and makes student life a little easier (in terms of motivation)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeletonclique21)
    No worries! Basically, it's a tumblr blog where people post pictures of their work, tips on revision and stuff and some useful resources such as calendars etc. Or you could make a studygram which is a similar thing but over on instagram. It's not for everyone but if it sits well with you, it will make a positive difference and makes student life a little easier (in terms of motivation)
    Ah right thank you so so much! I will definitely be checking that out!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.