Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GSCE, stressed, overwhelmed and anxious, help me!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    People say that GCSE's aren't that much work compared to IB/a-level...but its not even that i have loads of work, i mean it feels like it, but i think thats more inside my head than a reality - and i get so overwhelmed because we have so much homework to complete so i cant get on with my own revision for the topics at the beginning of the year, and if i dont start revising something and finish it by when i planned to i just feel like such a failure. I skipped school for one day last week because i had two mocks and i wasnt anywhere near prepared because i was so busy with homework that i only had the night before to revise - bear in mind i didnt understand any of that topic anyway - so anyway yeah i skipped school because i didn't want to flunk the test bc i feel like i want to do well in the mocks to prove to myself that i can do well in the real thing Every now and then i just get so stressed and anxious that i want to cry bc i feel like im going to fail my final exams...and the annoying thing is - i know i have it in me to do well, but the stress and anxiety get in the way of revising effectively because i just want to huddle in a hole somewhere.And everyone keeps asking me what i want to do in the future - like ahhhh im 16??? idkkkAlso, anyone know how much of a jump a-level biology is from gcse??sorry for the essay....ahah but i just cant cope, help!!How are you finding it

ReputationRep:
    Haha im finding it alright but it can sometimes be overwhelming I guess.

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs are only the start, do A levels and University and that's where it really gets f***ed up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    GCSEs are only the start, do A levels and University and that's where it really gets f***ed up.
    yeah, you see i understand this, but people telling me this doesn't help. i just want to know how to cope with what i am experiencing right now

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Have you considered counselling to try and control your stress. A counsellor is a great voice of reason and may really help you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    hello stranger,
    i was in exactley the same situation and i thought i was never going to make it through. the best tip is to think like this. "you earn your trophies in practise and collect them in competitions" this quote was very important for me as it strived me to be the best i can be. another tip is to be organised, you will never get anything done without organising a homework timetable and a revision time table. also, look back on your notes very so often so when you come back to revise propally, you will still remember most things.
    as for your mental state, just be calm, if you find yourself becoming anxious then take breathes and listen to music then carry on with revision. surround yourself with positive people and to revise with your friends so you can ask questions and learn off of each other.
    also, dont revise after 8 o'clock. trust me, you wont remeber it in the morning, before bed just take some relaxing time and talk to your family and friends as well as treating yourself when you do something right.

everyone experiences this, its how you cope with is shows how strong you are
    just remember it will soon be over and you will be walking out of that exam hall with your head held high

(Original post by erinlucy)
    People say that GCSE's aren't that much work compared to IB/a-level...but its not even that i have loads of work, i mean it feels like it, but i think thats more inside my head than a reality - and i get so overwhelmed because we have so much homework to complete so i cant get on with my own revision for the topics at the beginning of the year, and if i dont start revising something and finish it by when i planned to i just feel like such a failure. I skipped school for one day last week because i had two mocks and i wasnt anywhere near prepared because i was so busy with homework that i only had the night before to revise - bear in mind i didnt understand any of that topic anyway - so anyway yeah i skipped school because i didn't want to flunk the test bc i feel like i want to do well in the mocks to prove to myself that i can do well in the real thing Every now and then i just get so stressed and anxious that i want to cry bc i feel like im going to fail my final exams...and the annoying thing is - i know i have it in me to do well, but the stress and anxiety get in the way of revising effectively because i just want to huddle in a hole somewhere.And everyone keeps asking me what i want to do in the future - like ahhhh im 16??? idkkkAlso, anyone know how much of a jump a-level biology is from gcse??sorry for the essay....ahah but i just cant cope, help!!How are you finding it

ReputationRep:
    A-Level Bio, just like GCSE Bio is just a memory game. The only difference is that the mark schemes are pickier so you need to try and memorise certain keywords and use them in your answers to get credit.

ReputationRep:
    Hi ya, i just started year 12 and I did my GCSEs only last school year which turned out with quite excellent results. When I looked back to it now I realised that it was only a very small stage in life.

So honestly, don’t get stressed out about it. Never spend too much time revising, even for the real GCSE exams. This is extremely important, as long time does not mean good results. It depends on the quality, which is how effectively you revise. These are some of my revision methods that you could try; Quizlet for vocabs if ure doing a language , flash cards, written notes with loads of highlighters and in bullet points, watching youtube vids etc. If some of these methods didn’t work for you it is fine coz it depends on the person, so just try and error.

Another very important thing was I did a lot of practice questions and past papers coz that’s training you directly for the exams, as questions in the exams are basically the same. From doing these questions you can also find out which topics need more revising, which is always beneficial. Furthermore, always use the syllabus of each subjects, if your teachers haven’t given you any, go on the websites of the exam boards and find the syllabus of the subject that ure doing. Always refer to the syllabus coz there’s no point if you revise sth that’s not in the syllabus.

At last, remember to have fun even in your GCSE year. It really does help if you have a good mental state when you’re dealing with exam. Don’t revise so much for mocks, one of my friends got Cs for most of her subjects for mocks, and at the end she got all As and A*s, so it’s not necessarily accurate. Therefore just treat mocks as a warm up practice.

I really hope this help and best of luck to you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yamxx)
    Hi ya, i just started year 12 and I did my GCSEs only last school year which turned out with quite excellent results. When I looked back to it now I realised that it was only a very small stage in life.

So honestly, don’t get stressed out about it. Never spend too much time revising, even for the real GCSE exams. This is extremely important, as long time does not mean good results. It depends on the quality, which is how effectively you revise. These are some of my revision methods that you could try; Quizlet for vocabs if ure doing a language , flash cards, written notes with loads of highlighters and in bullet points, watching youtube vids etc. If some of these methods didn’t work for you it is fine coz it depends on the person, so just try and error.

Another very important thing was I did a lot of practice questions and past papers coz that’s training you directly for the exams, as questions in the exams are basically the same. From doing these questions you can also find out which topics need more revising, which is always beneficial. Furthermore, always use the syllabus of each subjects, if your teachers haven’t given you any, go on the websites of the exam boards and find the syllabus of the subject that ure doing. Always refer to the syllabus coz there’s no point if you revise sth that’s not in the syllabus.

At last, remember to have fun even in your GCSE year. It really does help if you have a good mental state when you’re dealing with exam. Don’t revise so much for mocks, one of my friends got Cs for most of her subjects for mocks, and at the end she got all As and A*s, so it’s not necessarily accurate. Therefore just treat mocks as a warm up practice.

I really hope this help and best of luck to you!!
    By YouTube vids I meant revision vids for your subjects lol, of course from time to time allow yourself to watch other fun ones as well )

ReputationRep:
    skipping the test to not fail it??

if you don't do it you have automatically failed

ReputationRep:
    It’s inevitable. At exam season you will almost get crushed under stress, which is how it is for all people who do proper revision. You’ll do better in the end than you expect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill Nye)
    skipping the test to not fail it??

if you don't do it you have automatically failed
    i mean i skipped a day of school so that i have more time to revise, not to get out of the test, it was a mock, and at my school you cant just not do them, ill have to do it when i go back - so my plan was to buy more revision time, not to skip the exam as a whole

ReputationRep:
    I remember feeling like this last year and the advice I would give is to take everything one step at a time. Whatever you do, don't overload yourself with work because you'll burn out. Take it slowly at first, maybe an hour of revision at home with a break in between, then as you get closer to the exam build it up a bit.

And the biggest tip is to revise what you struggle with! I know it's soooo much easier to revise what you like and understand, but in the long run this just doesn't help at all. Also DO PAST PAPERS, it helped me so so much in my GCSEs, you end up doing the questions faster so that in the real exam you have time to check everything.

I'm in year 12 and doing biology A-level right now and it's a lot of work, far more than other subjects because there is a lot of content you need to know. But it definitely is manageable if you get all of your homework and notes done early. If I were you I'd look at the specification/a textbook of A-level Biology to see if it interests you, because if it does revision and making notes is sooo much easier.
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agaaga1010)
    I remember feeling like this last year and the advice I would give is to take everything one step at a time. Whatever you do, don't overload yourself with work because you'll burn out. Take it slowly at first, maybe an hour of revision at home with a break in between, then as you get closer to the exam build it up a bit.

And the biggest tip is to revise what you struggle with! I know it's soooo much easier to revise what you like and understand, but in the long run this just doesn't help at all. Also DO PAST PAPERS, it helped me so so much in my GCSEs, you end up doing the questions faster so that in the real exam you have time to check everything.

I'm in year 12 and doing biology A-level right now and it's a lot of work, far more than other subjects because there is a lot of content you need to know. But it definitely is manageable if you get all of your homework and notes done early. If I were you I'd look at the specification/a textbook of A-level Biology to see if it interests you, because if it does revision and making notes is sooo much easier.
    Hope this helps!
    Knowing that I’m not the only person that has felt like this is reassuring.
    Thank you for your advice, and I will definitely check out an a-level bio text book.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    peeing in a bottle is easier than GCSEs. Nail down your past papers and have KFC

ReputationRep:
    Tbh peeing in a bottle is dead easy anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stuffme)
    peeing in a bottle is easier than GCSEs. Nail down your past papers and have KFC
    Tbh peeing in a bottle is dead easy anyway

ReputationRep:
    Personally I found GCSEs harder than A Levels because of the sheer volume of stuff to learn. Don't panic about not being able to cope next year. It's just a different way of studying. Everything will be ok - it's barely November!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.