Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how much have you spent on driving lessons? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I will have had about 40 hours of lessons by the time of my test next week which is about 850 pounds I think. It's annoying because I think i've been about the same standard since 34 hours or so, but oh well it's all good practice. I was considering cancelling one of my lessons in the days coming up to my test (I have one on saturday, one on monday and one before my test on Tuesday) but it's probably good practice seeing as it's right before my test. Do you think 7am-9am on Monday will be a waste of time due to rush hour and traffic? Really hoping I'll pass because I don't want to spend another few hundred for a couple more months until I can get another test for January.

How much have all of you spent?

ReputationRep:
    I had about 24 hours of lessons, and at about £20 a lesson it was about £480. Then I had my theory test (I can't remember how much that is) and then 2 practical tests too. So whatever that adds up to be is what it cost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    I had about 24 hours of lessons, and at about £20 a lesson it was about £480. Then I had my theory test (I can't remember how much that is) and then 2 practical tests too. So whatever that adds up to be is what it cost
    Is there a reason you did so little ie prior learning? Jw, I like to cut costs haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukauu)
    Is there a reason you did so little ie prior learning? Jw, I like to cut costs haha.
    In terms of the number of lessons I had? My instructor said on average people have 20 hours of lessons, and I was test ready after about 20, but because I failed my first test I had to take a few more lessons to fill the gap between my first and second tests.

ReputationRep:
    I think it was around £500, about 22-24 hours (it was a couple years ago so my memory is fuzzy). I only had a certain amount of savings so it was either pass first time or wait till after uni to do so. Plus the £20+ the theory test costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    In terms of the number of lessons I had? My instructor said on average people have 20 hours of lessons, and I was test ready after about 20, but because I failed my first test I had to take a few more lessons to fill the gap between my first and second tests.
    Really that's awesome I googled it a while ago and it said the average person needs 40 hours! Which would obviously be over a grand. Still I'm gonna go with motorcycle, cheaper haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukauu)
    Really that's awesome I googled it a while ago and it said the average person needs 40 hours! Which would obviously be over a grand. Still I'm gonna go with motorcycle, cheaper haha.
    I can't imagine spending 20 more hours learning to drive. Imo, your instructor is just ripping you off if they say you need that many hours. I learnt all the manoeuvres in the first 5 lessons. My instructor said if you can do that in the first 5, you'll be good to pass quickly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.