Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Now before starting I would like to note that I realise there are bigger issues in the world and people have it much worse etc. I am only asking because its been on my mind recently and I wanted to see peoples thoughts on the matter. I do think and consider how bad people have it etc.

Basically I have three other siblings and we all live in one house. I am the youngest of them all. All three of my siblings have rooms that are at least maybe 8 metres wide and 7 metres long(just rough estimate) whereas my room is probably about a 1/3 or 1/4 of the size. Now I realise this on its own isn't a major issue but there are other things my room doesn't have etc. I have one plug whereas all my other siblings rooms have 5+. This is particularly annoying as I use the most technology out of everyone and so an unable to do lots of tech things. Another issue is that my room has no radiator whereas all the other rooms do meaning I am freezing whenever trying to do work. Another couple of other minor issue is that outside my window is a literal brick wall and I only have a single bed(whereas all my other siblings have doubles). I am only shorter than 1 of them which is why I find it a little unfair..However, the most important issue is that my room is incredibly dusty due to a 'surprise carpet' being put in by my parents. This carpet attracts dust really easily and I am constantly sneezing. I am not joking when I say I am the only one in my family who suffers from allergy problems and when I went to the GP they told me I had allergic rhinitis. I have slept in all the other rooms and it is the only room in where I am constantly sneezing and my nose running etc. I realise there are much bigger issues in the world but I do find the situation unfair because of my allergy issues. I have brought it up with my parents and they say I am ungrateful and selfish etc. While I do see their point of view and realise its not the worst thing in the world, I do see some valid points to my argument. I also suffer with severe depression and so find it difficult to get too sleep on its own suffering from nightmares etc and the allergy problems make it worse.

I'm in a VERY similar situation, relate to a lot of this, I have 3 other siblings who all have massive rooms with double beds.. my room is too small to fit my clothes in the one chest of draws and my single bed barely fits in. Allergy issues are the same for me as well.. I'm not even the youngest sibling but I feel like that may be the reason for you ending up with this

ReputationRep:
    The plug and radiator issue can be solved with a portable heater and an extension lead (less than £20 on Amazon). Could you move the carpet or put it in another room?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm in a VERY similar situation, relate to a lot of this, I have 3 other siblings who all have massive rooms with double beds.. my room is too small to fit my clothes in the one chest of draws and my single bed barely fits in. Allergy issues are the same for me as well.. I'm not even the youngest sibling but I feel like that may be the reason for you ending up with this
    I'm sorry your in a similar situation as well. Yeah you are right that the reason I have this situation is because I'm the youngest. My older three siblings had the choice of rooms and of course they would pick the best one possible(I don't blame them). I am not really angry at my parents as they work really hard and cant afford a new house etc but it is still upsetting and difficult sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    The plug and radiator issue can be solved with a portable heater and an extension lead (less than £20 on Amazon). Could you move the carpet or put it in another room?
    An extension lead is a good idea actually. However when it comes to moving the carpet my parents say they wont pay for new flooring to be installed and trust me I have begged and begged them describing how bad my allergies are. They had no problem with getting my sister a new carpet, however. The reason they gave was because her carpet was really old as they got the new 'surprise carpet' for me a couple years ago. However, I find this unfair as I never asked for a new carpet(my old one was still bad but not as bad as this new one) and yet they make it out as if I wanted it. I have considered getting a job to pay but I am finding my school workload difficult while also suffering with depression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamar404)
    Now before starting I would like to note that I realise there are bigger issues in the world and people have it much worse etc. I am only asking because its been on my mind recently and I wanted to see peoples thoughts on the matter. I do think and consider how bad people have it etc.

Basically I have three other siblings and we all live in one house. I am the youngest of them all. All three of my siblings have rooms that are at least maybe 8 metres wide and 7 metres long(just rough estimate) whereas my room is probably about a 1/3 or 1/4 of the size. Now I realise this on its own isn't a major issue but there are other things my room doesn't have etc. I have one plug whereas all my other siblings rooms have 5+. This is particularly annoying as I use the most technology out of everyone and so an unable to do lots of tech things. Another issue is that my room has no radiator whereas all the other rooms do meaning I am freezing whenever trying to do work. Another couple of other minor issue is that outside my window is a literal brick wall and I only have a single bed(whereas all my other siblings have doubles). I am only shorter than 1 of them which is why I find it a little unfair..However, the most important issue is that my room is incredibly dusty due to a 'surprise carpet' being put in by my parents. This carpet attracts dust really easily and I am constantly sneezing. I am not joking when I say I am the only one in my family who suffers from allergy problems and when I went to the GP they told me I had allergic rhinitis. I have slept in all the other rooms and it is the only room in where I am constantly sneezing and my nose running etc. I realise there are much bigger issues in the world but I do find the situation unfair because of my allergy issues. I have brought it up with my parents and they say I am ungrateful and selfish etc. While I do see their point of view and realise its not the worst thing in the world, I do see some valid points to my argument. I also suffer with severe depression and so find it difficult to get too sleep on its own suffering from nightmares etc and the allergy problems make it worse.
    Sorry to hear about this. Ask your parents about your allergies and if you could swap rooms with them or your siblings. If the answer is NO then beg them to remove the carpets. Make your room a comfy place by buying little decorations and bits and bobs to "love" your room. You could visit charity shops(no one will know!) about £3-7 prices, or eBay or Amazon, ask friends for little decorations to give to you or get you for your bday and ask your parents. However just know that this is only temporary and that you can make your dreams come true without a fancy room! In the future, you can work your dream job, earn 6 figure salaries and live in a HUGE home and this bedroom will be nothing but memories. So unfortunately if you cant get access to this little necessities then HOLD TIGHT. Wear jumpers, leggings, socks etc btw. Stay positive :wavey::wavey:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.