Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you get clear skin/no spots!? Watch

I'm 17 now and I feel like I've tried everything! I don't have many spots.. never over 10 at any time, but they get on my nerves I just want clear skin.
    Any advice?
    I've tried: -drinking plenty of water, washing my face 2x a day, exfoliating, not touching my face, face mask,

Also, when I went on holiday in the summer it was 30+ degrees every day and I was always in the pool and sun etc and after a few days there my skin was completely clear and stayed fully clear for the whole holiday until i came back to the UK... any ideas on what could have given me this?

Any tips for clear skin would be much appreciated

Also - could anyone tell me how often I should moisturise my face? It's often dry (daily) but I heard that if I moisturise I get more spots?

ReputationRep:
    Some people are just genetically predisposed to get spots, the best thing I've ever used is TeaTree oil But you shouldn't overwash your face either, and be careful what moisturizers you use because some have oils that can make spots worse.

ReputationRep:
    My skin is pretty smooth and clear. Cutting out dairy definitely helps as its likely to be a hormonal thing.. I also try to aim for at least 2L or water per day and I don't wear any makeup which may be a big reason why. I only wash my face once a day and use water ONLY- no face masks or scrubs as I don't want to 'over- wash' it and dry my skin out.
    Hope that helps

(Original post by Avaia)
    Some people are just genetically predisposed to get spots, the best thing I've ever used is TeaTree oil But you shouldn't overwash your face either, and be careful what moisturizers you use because some have oils that can make spots worse.
    ty for the reply, do you apply that oil just straight onto your face?

(Original post by howinteresting)
    My skin is pretty smooth and clear. Cutting out dairy definitely helps as its likely to be a hormonal thing.. I also try to aim for at least 2L or water per day and I don't wear any makeup which may be a big reason why. I only wash my face once a day and use water ONLY- no face masks or scrubs as I don't want to 'over- wash' it and dry my skin out.
    Hope that helps
    I'm not sure I can cut out dairy as I'm quite skinny and trying to gain weight But the response is really useful thank you! I shall try the others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Also - could anyone tell me how often I should moisturise my face? It's often dry (daily) but I heard that if I moisturise I get more spots?
    I moisturize my face with shea butter on average twice a week as I don't want to block the pores on my skin. That may be a lot less than most people but I don't feel the need to moistuize it everyday or more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    ty for the reply, do you apply that oil just straight onto your face?
    You get it in different concentrations, start with a low concentration and then work your way higher if they don't work. And yeah you just apply it to spots/where you get them often

(Original post by Avaia)
    You get it in different concentrations, start with a low concentration and then work your way higher if they don't work. And yeah you just apply it to spots/where you get them often
    thanks a lot

(Original post by howinteresting)
    I moisturize my face with shea butter on average twice a week as I don't want to block the pores on my skin. That may be a lot less than most people but I don't feel the need to moistuize it everyday or more.
    thank you, and how often do you wash your face?

ReputationRep:
    I have heard cutting out dairy works, but you should cut all animal derived products out while you're at it.

ReputationRep:
    I personally use benzoyl peroxide. It's extremely effective in getting rid of spots, however, it does try up your skin, so I recommend getting a moisturiser. If you have a Kiehl's nearby you, visit them, and ask for a skin test+a moisturiser to complement your skin type, they will proceed to recommend you a product based on this.

It'll also benefit to eat less dairy, sugar and junk food as a whole, and to drink more water, too.

ReputationRep:
    Try cutting wheat/gluten out of your diet, it was the only thing that worked for my acne. Give it a trial and see how it goes; so instead of the usual gluten food like bread, pasta and cereal, opt for eggs, meat, fish, vegetables, fruits, nuts, dairy (if you're not intolerant) and so on. Check out the Wheat Belly site, very helpful. Whatever you do don't bother with topical creams for spots, it's a waste of money. Start with your diet.

ReputationRep:
    Try not touching your face only to clean if you rub your face use the back of your hand to do so or your palm , clean your bed sheets and pillows as well .. it works and stay drinking plenty of water
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.