Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do parents always think that you owe them something? Watch

Announcements

(Original post by Desmos)
    Read this as 'When you carry a burger..' and was so confused lol.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boss987)
    I am worried about the time where my parents won't be available to listen to my problems and u feel like this??? When your parents go to a better place, then u will feel the pain; TREAT THEM WITH RESPECT U PIG WHILST THEY ARE WITH U. A child who is allowed to be disrespectful to his parents will not have true respect for anyone.
    Respect is earned not given.Just being a parent does not automatically earn you respect.Its about what kind of parent you are.Anyone can father a child.And they don't go to a better place.Sorry.You shouldnt trivialise the meaning of death by pretending its something its not.Saying that you go to a better place robs death of its meaning and tragedy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontChooseComSci)
    Wow, have you read that back to yourself? you wouldnt be alive without your parents, show some respect
    That doesn't make any sense. Very lousy argument you've made if you're saying it to someone who, gee I don't know, doesn't wanna be alive. Why can't people process that there are *****y parents?? Would you say that to an abuse victim??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desmos)
    Read this as 'When you carry a burger..' and was so confused lol.
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    :rofl:
    You guys...*motherly head shake with hands on hips* 😜

ReputationRep:
    This question very much depends on what your parents expect you to owe them. If they ask you to do things like giving them a lift somewhere or going shopping with them then you should do those things because they did those same things for you, and it isn't harming you in any way to do those things.

However, if they are expecting you to do something that compromises your own rights and freedoms as a human being, e.g. forced marriage, forcing religion on you etc, then you are not obligated to owe them any of that because you aren't just their child. You are also a individual with your own life to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Definitely not, but if you didn't want to be born in the first place, technically speaking, you shouldn't be alive right now eh?
    Well, with that argument, you're saying that literally nothing should exist, because nothing asks to be born, or created, you're argument makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not that we think our children owe us something well not me anyway. I remind the child, teenager or young adult when they are being rude and disrespectful that I do this for you as my child screw the law but because I am your parent. When a teenager and young adult acts like because your their parent they don't have to honour thy parents or show respect and responsibility and they have a bad attitude it can make u feel real crap even worse if they don't want to help around the home be mindful.

ReputationRep:
    I'm grateful only for what they did on top of the minimum required by law. It came with "sacrifices" on their side, but it was their life choice and it's clear that when you have a child you must adjust your life accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    I'm grateful only for what they did on top of the minimum required by law. It came with "sacrifices" on their side, but it was their life choice and it's clear that when you have a child you must adjust your life accordingly.
    You sound very Ungrateful at the same time usual behaviour for some. I will say this you will think differently when you have children of your own one day in the future at the moment ure not in parent mode. When your own children start to become young adults your going to be like ooh I get it until then hmmm

ReputationRep:
    Just one more thing we don't know how you were brought up and if you've had problems most teenagers young adults try to separate themselfs from their parents and we have all been there ourselfs.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.