Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which degree has better job prospects and salary. I have read that a computer science degree can get you the same jobs in finance as economics, to what extent is this true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous45465)
    Which degree has better job prospects and salary. I have read that a computer science degree can get you the same jobs in finance as economics, to what extent is this true?
    Comp sci, leads to most of the careers economics does (except the ones that ask for economics which is very very few) and you learn how to program etc on the course so can go into software dev as well.

Yes it is true, finance careers dont ask for any specific degree, just that you have a degree, its the internships youve done that count massively
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Technically Economics, but you are talking about averages over a significant number of people, and your personal employability chances are not really influenced by your degree.

For most finance roles you could have studied any subject, it could be History of Arts and you’d have the same basic application as an Economics or Computer Science grad. Some finance roles do require you to have a high level of mathematic content to your degree though, and so that is where an Economics degree might help - but as an Economics graduate with very little mathematics to their degree, I can tell you that isn’t always the case either!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Technically Economics, but you are talking about averages over a significant number of people, and your personal employability chances are not really influenced by your degree.

For most finance roles you could have studied any subject, it could be History of Arts and you’d have the same basic application as an Economics or Computer Science grad. Some finance roles do require you to have a high level of mathematic content to your degree though, and so that is where an Economics degree might help - but as an Economics graduate with very little mathematics to their degree, I can tell you that isn’t always the case either!
    Could you give me examples of jobs that I would be able to apply for with an economics degree but not with a computer degree?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Could you give me examples of jobs that I would be able to apply for with an economics degree but not with a computer degree?
    Only if you did a high level of maths content in your economics degree, then you could be:

An actuary
    An economist
    A statistician

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Only if you did a high level of maths content in your economics degree, then you could be:

An actuary
    An economist
    A statistician
    Apart from these would I have just as good of a chance if I had a computer science degree. The reason I am asking this is because a computer science degree is more mathematical than an economics degree based on what I've seen of the modules.

ReputationRep:
    Computer science is slowly becoming a very saturated degree, not to mention that there's people who do it a lot better in third-world countries who are likely to steal any employment prospects a lot of graduates will be looking for.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Apart from these would I have just as good of a chance if I had a computer science degree. The reason I am asking this is because a computer science degree is more mathematical than an economics degree based on what I've seen of the modules.
    It depends on the modules/degree you take. If you have a high level of maths to your computer science degree and could prove that, then you'd be ok. Some jobs that require a high level of maths knowledge will ask for you degree to have 50% of more maths content.

ReputationRep:
    There's not many but...Economist?

It works both ways though. Both degrees are numerate and so similar jobs are available to both. Very few jobs where you need a CS degree as well - even for something like programming it's not necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speckle)
    There's not many but...Economist?

It works both ways though. Both degrees are numerate and so similar jobs are available to both. Very few jobs where you need a CS degree as well - even for something like programming it's not necessary.
    So doing either an economics degree or CS degree I will have similar job prospects?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.