Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I really need help. I don't know which way to turn. I've finished 1 year of uni and I've only just started my second year. at the moment there is a lot of stress going on around me. I live at home with my mum and dad and my dad is very ill with a mental breakdown and as been diagnosed with paranoia and is taking time off work. I've had to miss days off from uni to help my mum look after my dad. I also suffer from mental health myself. I have a eating disorder and depression. I'm having anxiety and panic attacks everyday. I'm behind in my work which is really getting to me and I feel like I cant cope. i've been to my doctor and she has put me on the sick for a month. I've already spoken to my tutors about the issue and they understand completely. they are saying that I should take the year off and get better and re-enrol next year and start the year again, which is something I am thinking of doing. but what about the money situation? do I have to pay for a year that I'm not going to be studying for? please can someone help me in what to do? ((

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seapearl)
    Hello everyone, I really need help. I don't know which way to turn. I've finished 1 year of uni and I've only just started my second year. at the moment there is a lot of stress going on around me. I live at home with my mum and dad and my dad is very ill with a mental breakdown and as been diagnosed with paranoia and is taking time off work. I've had to miss days off from uni to help my mum look after my dad. I also suffer from mental health myself. I have a eating disorder and depression. I'm having anxiety and panic attacks everyday. I'm behind in my work which is really getting to me and I feel like I cant cope. i've been to my doctor and she has put me on the sick for a month. I've already spoken to my tutors about the issue and they understand completely. they are saying that I should take the year off and get better and re-enrol next year and start the year again, which is something I am thinking of doing. but what about the money situation? do I have to pay for a year that I'm not going to be studying for? please can someone help me in what to do? ((
    I'm pretty sure you get a gift year with SFE. So you get 4 years. So you've done one. You now have 3 left. So you're in luck? Don't put university before your mental health, take a gap year if you think you can't cope for sure. You'll probably feel better for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.