Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by 04MR17)
    There is too much death in the United States. By whatever means, the only benefit it has is a small improvement in global population control and it's good for the funeral industry. Bar that, I see no benefits. Their culture is becoming more and more normalised to incidents of unexpected deaths, and I fear the consequences of that as a cultural atmosphere.
    You will need to explain your first sentence.

The mortality rate in the US ranks 94 compared to the UK 59. You can see all the countries which have a higher death rate. Should they be reconsidering as well?
    https://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?v=26
    https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...N?locations=US

You can explain the rest of your statement as well, with some evidence might be helpful.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Trapz99)
    Everything is done in the name of ISIS these days, unless ISIS directly helped him with the attack this means nothing
    This is untrue as a significant part of their effort is to do with online radicalisation to inspire their followers to attack. Same result.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)

The mortality rate in the US ranks 94 compared to the UK 59. You can see all the countries which have a higher death rate. Should they be reconsidering as well?

You can explain the rest of your statement as well, with some evidence might be helpful.
    I don't believe I need to evidence my own speculation.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

I don't believe I need to evidence my own speculation.
    If you are on a discussion forum then it helps if you make sense.

ReputationRep:
    This is untrue as a significant part of their effort is to do with online radicalisation to inspire their followers to attack. Same result.
    True, but the reason ISIS say "we did it" is not to gloat. They do it because it seems like they've coordinated an attack and their reach is boundless. Ultimately, this is not true. The FBI knew more about the perps than ISIS did as there was nothing "coordinated" about it.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    True, but the reason ISIS say "we did it" is not to gloat. They do it because it seems like they've coordinated an attack and their reach is boundless. Ultimately, this is not true. The FBI knew more about the perps than ISIS did as there was nothing "coordinated" about it.
    I understand that . My point was more to do with the comment about it meaning nothing unless they had direct involvement. Their efforts are based on radicalising people in the home countries, which saves them the need of smuggling in fighters. Its a deliberate strategy.
    • Very Important Poster

This is D&CA. Whether or not I "help" doesn't usuualy seem to matter.
    Youve sill managed to make no sense and are talking to yourself. Duly noted.
    • Very Important Poster

I can't believe you've only just discovered this after however many years.

You should see me in spam threads of you think this is nonsense.:eviltongue:
    Then don't tag me and that will suit us both.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Gentle reminder to keep things on-topic and civil please, folks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Gentle reminder to keep things on-topic and civil please, folks!
    I understand the on topic point, but surely if you want a platform for your opinion then surely free speech would say whether it offends someone or not you are able to voice your opinion. Or is it a matter of tolerance being prioritised over the truth.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FL Watch)
    I understand the on topic point, but surely if you want a platform for your opinion then surely free speech would say whether it offends someone or not you are able to voice your opinion. Or is it a matter of tolerance being prioritised over the truth.
    It entirely depends what people are proposing as truth, A genuinely true comment can be posed in a non-offensive manner, generally speaking, as can debates be had civilly. Tolerance and truth are rarely mutually exclusive, after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    It entirely depends what people are proposing as truth, A genuinely true comment can be posed in a non-offensive manner, generally speaking, as can debates be had civilly. Tolerance and truth are rarely mutually exclusive, after all.
    I will give you an example, The terrorist is muslim, no surprise there but i bet you have had tonnes of muslims on here smashing the report button this morning playing the race/religion card in a bid to censor posts they can not counteract. The community team will then look at the posts and give them what they want censorship of posts they do not like and the truth being withheld.

The truth is the attacker maimed innocent people in New York whilst shouting Allah Akhbar, then you have people on here pretending there is no link between Islam and terrorist attack, when primarily the attacker carried out the attack for Allah. Lets see how long this post remains for.

I will give you an example, The terrorist is muslim, no surprise there but i bet you have had tonnes of muslims on here smashing the report button this morning playing the race/religion card in a bid to censor posts they can not counteract. The community team will then look at the posts and give them what they want censorship of posts they do not like and the truth being withheld.

The truth is the attacker maimed innocent people in New York whilst shouting Allah Akhbar, then you have people on here pretending there is no link between Islam and terrorist attack, when primarily the attacker carried out the attack for Allah. Lets see how long this post remains for.
      TSR is a diverse place, and spreading hatred doesn't help anybody.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
      TSR is a diverse place, and spreading hatred doesn't help anybody.
      What hatred is in my post? I in a nutshell stated the truth
      • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
      Scanning through this thread it appears you're incorrect. Hopefully that quells the rest of your concerns regarding moderation. If you genuinely think there's some form of bias in how the staff moderate, make a thread here and discuss it: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/for...lay.php?f=1217

Any further derailing of this thread/discussion that isn't relating to the attack will be removed. Let's get back to discussing the news story now.

ReputationRep:

I'm fairly sure they were referring to homicide. That's what I got from 'unexpected deaths by whatever means'. Not just terrorism, but the regular shootings, murders, etc.

Some of the safest countries in the world are above the US in that graph, simply due to having an older population. What is unexpected about old age? Pretty pointless data to post this context.

ReputationRep:
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JMR2017)
      No Muslim in my family or community ever condones these acts, we are all fighting against extremism!
      And? So you can say that at most a few dozen don't condone it, I can think of several groups with thousands of members and supporters that do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Haider_A)
      This isn't a topic to be joking about; stop being so idiotic and show some respect to the deceased
      I fail to notice anything jokey or disrespectful about the comment you quoted. Care to elaborate?
      • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Quixote.)
      I'm fairly sure they were referring to homicide. That's what I got from 'unexpected deaths by whatever means'. Not just terrorism, but the regular shootings, murders, etc.

Some of the safest countries in the world are above the US in that graph, simply due to having an older population. What is unexpected about old age? Pretty pointless data to post this context.
      He was talking about death rate. If he was talking about homicide rate, then its usual to say homicide rate. Why should we have to guess? Why wouldnt he have the spine or intelligence to clarify this instead of some drivel about moral decay.

If you understand his argument and have his approval, then feel free to advance it.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.