Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Terror attack in New York City: 8 people dead Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Does that mean that anyone who refuses to condone drone strikes on civilians is in fact supporting blatant murder and terrorism?
    No. Someone who refuses to condone an attack on civilians obviously doesn't support it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MartinF98)
    I don't see why anyone needs to condemn them though. Maybe if someone asks then yeah, but otherwise there is no point in condemning an attack. I don't see why people are being pressured to condemn attacks these days. It means nothing and it just shows how especially Muslims and people on the right are being forced to prove that they're peaceful.

I don't think Muslims should be seen as supporting terrorism just because they aren't condemning every muslim terror attack. Just leave them alone.
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    There's an Islamic terror attack somewhere in the world probably every day. Muslims have lives to live and condemning doesn't do anything anyway so I don't see why Muslims should have to condemn attacks when, like most of us, they just want to go on with their day to day lives. This "if you don't condemn it you support it" narrative is poisonous and stems from an Islamophobic attitude where Muslims are expected to prove their 'peacefulness' and loyalty and are seen as secretly being the enemy instead of being accepted as a normal British person unless proven otherwise.
    I agree that no one is obliged to unilaterally condemn anything.

However, if that thing is a brutal and deliberate mass murder of civilians, carried out in the name of an ideology that you not only follow but claim is perfect, and they use specific elements of your ideology to justify that act, it seems odd that you wouldn't want to unilaterally condemn it. I would, and do - and I have nothing invested in that ideology.

Moreover, when questioned about it (possibly because you make a point of publicly condemning other similar acts by the followers of different ideologies), if you then refuse to condemn it, that refusal will certainly raise a few eyebrows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Proportionally, murderers in the US are far more likely to be black than white. In fact, they are about as likely to be black in real terms.

Be careful how you use that race card!
    I’m talking about mass shootings in real terms. They are mostly white men or non-Muslim black men. Muslims rarely cause any significant trouble in the us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desaf1)
    I’m talking about mass shootings in real terms. They are mostly white men or non-Muslim black men. Muslims rarely cause any significant trouble in the us
    Muslims make up 9.8% of the US prison population, but make up only 1% of the general population, so it seems that they are disproportionately troublesome!

In fact, after Native Americans, Muslims are the most likely religious group to be imprisoned (ironically about the same level as pagans!). Atheists are the second least likely group to be imprisoned.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.