Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scienceq)
    Musical instruments no. Auto tuning and all the other stuff yh
    There is a difference on instruments though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k0zaf)
    my whole life i have been wearing jeans and a friend of mine at uni told me its haram and i was like really shocked because no one has ever told me but i searched online and cant really find an answer but i was just wondering is it really haram and listening to music aswell because music always lightens up my mood and loads of people told me its haram.
    Adopting western values and lifestyles is sacrilegious. If you call yourself a Muslim, then you should know this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd522)
    The Quran doesn't say TV isn't allowed.
    Nope it does not because there was no such thing as a TV when the Holy Quraan was been written. However scholars dictate to us that one should refrain for ones own benefit and sanity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k0zaf)
    my whole life i have been wearing jeans and a friend of mine at uni told me its haram and i was like really shocked because no one has ever told me but i searched online and cant really find an answer but i was just wondering is it really haram and listening to music aswell because music always lightens up my mood and loads people told me its haram.
    Okay - Let's get this straight first off.
    No-one can give you a yes or no answer. It is up to your interpretation of Islam and what you think is haraam or not.
    For example, I have friends who think literally everything is haraam; they don't listen to music since in their opinion music is vice and they don't wear makeup or get their nails done or do anything like that. They wear abayas, and then niqabs when they go back to their homeland (completely by choice).
    On the other hand, I have some more liberal Muslim friends. They dress like any other person: shorts, crop tops, ripped jeans, bralets -you name it! They're okay with listening to music, they occasionally go out drinking or have pork or whatnot, but still identify with being Muslim.
    Then I have some friends who feel more comfortable in the middle of these two. They wear jeans, but they're not ripped. They will wear a top which is long enough to cover their butts and they make sure that it isn't too much of a low cut that it shows their bust. They don't believe listening to music is haraam.

There are many Hadith which explain that Prophet Muhammad listened to music etc.

You need to make your mind up; religion and faith is an important and personal thing - you can't let anyone else make you believe something about Islam without reading the Quran yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YixingZhang)
    There are many Hadith which explain that Prophet Muhammad listened to music etc.
    Sources?

ReputationRep:
    different schools of thought and all that, but yeah its fine to wear jeans and listen to music, good on you for being careful though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faith 101)
    Sources?
    Seriously...?

I got it from this website a few days ago, but the page is down....
    https://www.siasat.pk/forum/showthre...-Muslim-Hadith
    There is also a Hadith on Music, specifically at times of celebration like Eid.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.