Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I wanted to buy a laptop for doing computer science (software engineering) at university. I really liked either dell xps 13 or 13"macbook pro, are these any good choices?
    I was wondering if its a good idea to get i7 or if an i5 would be enough, I was hoping that whatever I get can last me 4 to 5 years until my degree course is completed.

Also please do recommend any budget friendly alternatives, its really appreciated.

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garvit.b198)
    Hey everyone, I wanted to buy a laptop for doing computer science (software engineering) at university. I really liked either dell xps 13 or 13"macbook pro, are these any good choices?
    I was wondering if its a good idea to get i7 or if an i5 would be enough, I was hoping that whatever I get can last me 4 to 5 years until my degree course is completed.

Also please do recommend any budget friendly alternatives, its really appreciated.

Thanks!!
    I started off with an i3, and ended up buying an i7 half way through first year. I think the lab machines are i5’s (or at least they were, I think they’ve just upgraded to i7 now). I found the i7 to be particularly useful doing things like AI/Search trees/Java3D and so on. But it depends on what you’ll be using it for. Macs are nice but pricey. A lot of people did use them at undergrad, but I’ve literally no experience with it so can’t comment. I would probably avoid an i3 though. i5 might be okay, I’d imagine.

I have an HP Pavillion bought around 2013/2014, with an i7. It was in the sale. Has served me well.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Thanks!!
    I wouldn't be concerned about raw computing power. All you're gonna be doing is spending all of your time in a simple text editor. A toaster can handle that! I've been doing my degree on an extremely modest little 2015 MacBook with no problems.

If money is an issue, go with the most affordable system that feels nice to you. Chances are you can get it to do what you want to do.

If money is not an issue, get a Mac. They last, they feel good (important! Like I said, you'll be using it a lot) and finally Windows is a pile of **** to develop on. The CS field, both academically and industrially, is all UNIX-based (Mac or Linux). Of course, you can still buy a PC, it's just you'll want to put Linux onto it. I'd say base this on a decision as to what physical machine you'll enjoy working on more.

ReputationRep:
    buy a MSI GT83VR 7RF Titan SLI Gaming Laptop

ReputationRep:

Thanks!!
    I would personally go for the xps i7 8th generation with qhd display and touch screen 👌🏾

ReputationRep:
    Gaming laptops are quite often a waste of money unless you really plan on playing high-end games, and even then...

What you really want are specs like this (in order of importance):
    A fast CPU, i5 or i7 should be fine
    8GB+ RAM
    An SSD

A software engineering course likely shouldn't really need much graphical power, and a laptop which has the specs above should be more than capable for the tasks you'll be doing.

Whats your price range btw?

ReputationRep:
    Dell is one of the better brands for programming I’ve read a few articles as I’m in the same boat at the moment I will be purchasing an i5 with 16gb ram and ssd along with a graphics card with at least 2gb dedicated ram.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.