Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I went to college and did my A levels didn't get the best grades. I did my third year but left halfway through the year and felt college and education wasn't for me. I started a full time job a month later and I enjoy it. This is was when I was 18 turning 19 later that year. I'm now 21 and sometimes think I should have just gone uni for the experience and maybe making my parents a little happier. I sometimes wish I just went and got on with it but education wasn't always for me.. any opinions or advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shark_AA)
    I went to college and did my A levels didn't get the best grades. I did my third year but left halfway through the year and felt college and education wasn't for me. I started a full time job a month later and I enjoy it. This is was when I was 18 turning 19 later that year. I'm now 21 and sometimes think I should have just gone uni for the experience and maybe making my parents a little happier. I sometimes wish I just went and got on with it but education wasn't always for me.. any opinions or advice?
    Third year? What?

Anyway no, uni should be for academically capable students. You're 21 with a job, there'll be many ppl who went to crap unis, pissed about and now walking out of uni with 40k+ debt and unemployed.

But yeah, you've missed out on the experience of uni definitely, it's meant to be the best yrs of your life
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Uni isn't for everyone. I have just started a degree at the age of 22 as I didn't feel ready to do one until this point. I felt pressure to study but I knew it would do me no good mentally to do something I was not prepared to do!
    Do it only when and if you want, not because others want you to do it. And the "experience" isn't for everyone. I had great years studying in college. University will be a similar experience of meeting people and getting drunk regularly.

(Original post by Shark_AA)

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.