No Fees but Commercial Rates on Student Loans: A Tory Vote Winner? Watch

This discussion is closed.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
Its because of that kind of attitude why I think the voting age should be raised to 21!
Why? That wouldn't make any difference.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
Why? That wouldn't make any difference.
Prehaps by the time people reach 21 they will be mature enough to base their vote on more than whether the PM has a 'Cheesy Grin'. I mean basing a vote on that is disgraceful!

I am not saying that everyone under 21 will vote like that at all but at least raising it to 21 will prehaps cut down on immature people voting for parties for absolutely stupid reasons.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
Prehaps by the time people reach 21 they will be mature enough to base their vote on more than whether the PM has a 'Cheesy Grin'. I mean basing a vote on that is disgraceful!

I am not saying that everyone under 21 will vote like that at all but at least raising it to 21 will prehaps cut down on immature people voting for parties for absolutely stupid reasons.
Similar things occur with other age groups, for example I've heard very old women that they vote Labour because of "that handsome young man". IMHO anyone who is paying tax should have the right to vote (irrespective of thier intelligence or the random things that base thier vote on). Surely it would be wrong to exclude anyone who lives in and contributes to the economy of the country.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
Similar things occur with other age groups, for example I've heard very old women that they vote Labour because of "that handsome young man". IMHO anyone who is paying tax should have the right to vote (irrespective of thier intelligence or the random things that base thier vote on). Surely it would be wrong to exclude anyone who lives in and contributes to the economy of the country.
Yes your right really - it just really irratates me when I hear people basing their vote on something completely irrelevant.

God I hope the Tories don't get in this time around!
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Nope, I don't think so.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nope, I don't think so.
Would you like to elaborate on your point any further? If not then there is little point you posting the above statement as it is useless without any justification.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Would you like to elaborate on your point any further? If not then there is little point you posting the above statement as it is useless without any justification.
I don't believe that people over the age of 21 neccessarily have more reasoned judgements for who to elect as compared to those under the age of 21. There are a large number of people (over the age of 21) who vote for a political party just because they always have done, regardless of its current policies - which is totally stupid. People also vote based on the personality of the politcal leader - this phenomena is not confined to those under the age of 21. All you suggest is diminishing the voting franchise for no obvious advantage, which is illiberal.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't believe that people over the age of 21 neccessarily have more reasoned judgements for who to elect as compared to those under the age of 21. There are a large number of people (over the age of 21) who vote for a political party just because they always have done, regardless of its current policies - which is totally stupid. People also vote based on the personality of the politcal leader - this phenomena is not confined to those under the age of 21. All you suggest is diminishing the voting franchise for no obvious advantage, which is illiberal.
Yeah I agree with you now I have thought about it. It is just annoying that people actually vote for a party based on something that is completely irrelevant to how well that party would do in government.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah I agree with you now I have thought about it. It is just annoying that people actually vote for a party based on something that is completely irrelevant to how well that party would do in government.
That's democracy for you...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (151)
18.04%
No (510)
60.93%
Not really bothered about them (176)
21.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise