Maths - 6
    Bio - A
    Chem- A
    Physics - A
    Bus and comms systems - A
    RE - A*
    ENGLISH LIT - 9
    FRENCH - B
    Could I get into medicine and what would I have to do to get there?
    what experience?
    Anything that could help???

ReputationRep:
    Get good AS grades, maybe to well in general in school, get work experience. You have decent grades. If you get a really good BMAT result you’re set. Your personal statement is basically your ticket to getting invited to an interview. You still have good potential to get an interview at a top Uni if your extracurriculars show interest. Once you get the interview then your GCSE grades will be irrelevant. What will matter is your performance at the interview, and your BMAT.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Study chemistry a-level

ReputationRep:
    Biology and Chemistry are almost always a must at A-Level, your third A-Level should also be relevant, such as psychology or maths.
    Get work experience in relative fields, hospitals, doctors offices, medical clinics, labs etc.
    Really spend some time on your personal statement (when you get to it), as this is the thing that really sets you apart from other applicants (most of whom will also have top grades in the same subjects).
    You need to really show you not only want to do the course but that you should do the course. Demonstrate your interest, this can be done by showing all your work experience or extra learning

ReputationRep:
    Most of that advice is unhelpful.
    Your GCSEs are adequate for most medical schools. Studying Biology and Chemistry at A level will keep the most options open, your 3rd A level is irrelevant unless you are interested in Oxbridge, and Oxford would be difficult given your GCSEs (they expect a high number of A*s).
    Most med schools use UKCAT as their admission test (24 v 7 which use BMAT, I think, and 2 of those are Oxbridge). A good score in admissions tests certainly opens a lot of doors.
    Your PS is actually scored by very few medical schools these days, and is only a significant part of your application for 5 or 6 (again, excluding Oxbridge). Many do not even read it prior to interview.
    However, work experience is very important as you must make sure you are informed about medicine as a career. Some shadowing is beneficial if you can obtain it, but more important is some long term volunteering work in a caring environment such as a care home, charity shop, youth group, etc where you can work with less advantaged people and see how empathy, compassion, team working, caring, communication skills and other important competencies for a doctor are put into practice and how they may apply to you. Having interesting extra-curriculars that also show skills relevant to medicine would be beneficial, as admissions teams want to see well-rounded applicants. This is all vital for your interview, as if you have the stats to make the cut, this will actually decide whether you get offered a place.
    Good luck
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saarahtalha)
    I have GCSE grades of:
    English lang - 7
    Maths - 6
    Bio - A
    Chem- A
    Physics - A
    Bus and comms systems - A
    RE - A*
    ENGLISH LIT - 9
    FRENCH - B
    Could I get into medicine and what would I have to do to get there?
    what experience?
    Anything that could help???
    Hi there!

We have lots of resources you might find useful:

We have a Step-by-Step Guide to Medicine which details all of the steps you need to take to get to med school (including which A-Levels to choose, work experience and admissions tests like UKCAT and BMAT).

We also have a few other pages you might find helpful:
    - Medical Work Experience (this details how to find different types of medical work experience in hospitals, GPs and care homes - and what different med schools look for!)
    - GCSE Requirements for Medicine
    - What A-Levels do you need to be a doctor?

Hope these help a little
    The Medic Portal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.