Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Exeter Law ABB Offer Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied to Exeter with ABB grades for law been given an offer?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by jordsax19)
    Unistats suggests you have a low chance of getting in. the best thing to do is ring them up and make an informal enquiry so you can avoid being rejected on the spot. They will tell you at least hat much and then you wont waste a choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordsax19)
    Either UCAS tariff calculator is trolling us, or you've got a high chance of success (the usual qualifications about the personal statement, mitigating circumstances in exams, and coming from a poorer socioeconomic background, apply).

Put your subjects and grades in 'ere: https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

I inserted an ABB prediction for Exeter for English Lit, History and Maths respectively, and it came up with 88% chance of getting an offer (!) (Screenshot)
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Either UCAS tariff calculator is trolling us, or you've got a high chance of success (the usual qualifications about the personal statement, mitigating circumstances in exams, and coming from a poorer socioeconomic background, apply).

Put your subjects and grades in 'ere: https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

I inserted an ABB prediction for Exeter for English Lit, History and Maths respectively, and it came up with 88% chance of getting an offer (!) (Screenshot)
    And don't forget there's a difference between getting an Offer, and being accepted with those grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)

Recently someone applying to Newcastle was asking if they'd be considered with ABB, as the UCAS calculator said they'd have a 90%+ chance of being given an offer. The Newcastle TSR rep contacted the law admission staff and were told categorically nothing below AAB prediction would be considered, let alone 90%+ of them being given an offer. I think there is a quirk of how they combine each A-Level together to form a chance of offer. Maybe they're combining the chance of each A-Level's offer worthiness, rather than the three together? Anyway, it does not work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Recently someone applying to Newcastle was asking if they'd be considered with ABB, as the UCAS calculator said they'd have a 90%+ chance of being given an offer. The Newcastle TSR rep contacted the law admission staff and were told categorically nothing below AAB prediction would be considered, let alone 90%+ of them being given an offer. I think there is a quirk of how they combine each A-Level together to form a chance of offer. Maybe they're combining the chance of each A-Level's offer worthiness, rather than the three together? Anyway, it does not work.
    Ah, fair enough. I don't think that we have enough info either way to reach a conclusion on whether it works or not.

My personal hypothesis is that a lot of the below-offer grades predicted by supposed offerholders were contextualised to the extreme, with most people being predicted e.g. ABB not bothering to apply in the first place. For instance, if only 4 ballsy applicants applied to Exeter law with AAC, and three of them got offers for whatever reason, that could still be a 75% offer rate. Then again, is there a minimum number of data points UCAS needs to list an offer rate on its calculator? Don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Have you already completed your a-levels? or are you predicted ABB?

I, personally, would still apply as most of these unis seriously overstate what they're willing to accept. So, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.