Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So Im looking for a laptop to use when I go to uni and Idk whether to choose Mac or pc. I would choose a Mac but I also want to game, like sims and DoW. However I'm not a heavy gamer anyway so what should I choose?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jawsomesauce35)
    So Im looking for a laptop to use when I go to uni and Idk whether to choose Mac or pc. I would choose a Mac but I also want to game, like sims and DoW. However I'm not a heavy gamer anyway so what should I choose?
    Get a PC. Forget Mac, unless you know abt bootcamp;
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Id say Mac (what I have) but if you want to game then PC

ReputationRep:
    Mac if you don’t game, PC if you do.

I was a Windows user ever since I could use a computer and I transitioned to MacOS at the beginning of the year. It is clearly superior, IMO. There’s no driver problems to worry about, no annoying updates and it’s just a refined experience.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for The replies, and if I was to get a pc - what would be the best to buy? It sucks cuz I literally only want to play like 2 games!! But really want a solid Macbook?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to play games, I will advise you PC Windows. It quite easy and cheap to have most of the software. In Laptops computer, the PC windows are the best.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    A PC, regardless if you intend on gaming or not - but especially if you plan to run anything that came out in the last 5 years for less than £2000.

The simple truth is that you can get a comparable level of "power" from a computer - i.e. in graphics, general "speed of use", data storage, etc, etc, from a PC compared to any Apple product for a fraction of the price. There is no reason to buy a Mac, unless you explicitly want to pay more for the privilege of conspicuous consumption - now if you do, that's up to you and by all means do so, but most students have limited funds to purchase things for themselves, so it you should consider whether the cost is worth it.

Which, it's not, but anyway....also there is a better game library for PCs, as while many more games are being ported to Mac, many have very poor ports (and hence, run atrociously and would require an even "higher" specced machine on the mac side, compared to a lower specced machine on the PC side which will not only be cheaper than it's mac equivalent, but is definitely cheaper than the "upgraded" version you'll need to get to be able to run whatever game it is), and a number of others (particularly by smaller or indie studios) don't have one. While yes, an apple device could run the games you want. However a PC can do so for much less money, and do a lot more besides that.

If you want to debate operating systems then I'd just point out Linux is going to be better than either of them in any situation anyway, in which case you just want to buy the best components for the lowest price - which is going to be happening on a PC, not a mac.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    A PC, regardless if you intend on gaming or not - but especially if you plan to run anything that came out in the last 5 years for less than £2000.

The simple truth is that you can get a comparable level of "power" from a computer - i.e. in graphics, general "speed of use", data storage, etc, etc, from a PC compared to any Apple product for a fraction of the price. There is no reason to buy a Mac, unless you explicitly want to pay more for the privilege of conspicuous consumption - now if you do, that's up to you and by all means do so, but most students have limited funds to purchase things for themselves, so it you should consider whether the cost is worth it.

Which, it's not, but anyway....also there is a better game library for PCs, as while many more games are being ported to Mac, many have very poor ports (and hence, run atrociously and would require an even "higher" specced machine on the mac side, compared to a lower specced machine on the PC side which will not only be cheaper than it's mac equivalent, but is definitely cheaper than the "upgraded" version you'll need to get to be able to run whatever game it is), and a number of others (particularly by smaller or indie studios) don't have one. While yes, an apple device could run the games you want. However a PC can do so for much less money, and do a lot more besides that.

If you want to debate operating systems then I'd just point out Linux is going to be better than either of them in any situation anyway, in which case you just want to buy the best components for the lowest price - which is going to be happening on a PC, not a mac.
    So if I do get a PC which ones would you recommend and idk about Linux cuz I never had one myself but I could certainly give it a try
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So if I do get a PC which ones would you recommend and idk about Linux cuz I never had one myself but I could certainly give it a try
    Honestly for most people Linux isn't actually any better than Windows. I guess it's slightly better now, because it's more like, W7, rather than the slightly more garbage W10 that's current. But it's a marginal difference, and unless you really get down into the nuts and bolts of it, you aren't going to get significantly improved performance out of it.

Anyway, regarding PCs - I've used Lenovos for quite a few years now, and they've served me very well. The only caveat is their warranty, mainly because their repairs centre is based in Germany I think, so if you have to claim something you'll have to say goodbye for at least a week. While they've slightly been on a downturn the last couple years (the 500 series in particular is quite poor now, which is a shame as it was the one I defaulted to using previously) they are on the whole pretty good. I've heard good things about Asus otherwise, and HP are apparently now on the up and up, so those are probably worth considering.

If you're only going to be gaming casually, but want the benefit of portability and tablet like use, I'd seriously suggest considering a Microsoft Surface. It runs most typical "low level" PC games (such as League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone, I imagine DoW and...probably, the Sims, although 3 I hear is somewhat poorly optimized on the whole so, your mileage may vary), and is quick enough otherwise, but has the benefit of being very compact and light (still with a reasonable screensize, although it's not a behemoth) and having the "tablet mode" which is actually a lot nicer than I thought it was. Unlike iPads and the like, it is functionally a PC - it's the same W10 as you'd have on a traditional laptop, but that is on a portable tablet like device. It's probably worth picking up a wireless (or wired, if you really wanted) mouse for gaming and/or external HDD just to carry your files you don't use much on there, but I'd suggest those even for a more typical laptop (or even a desktop).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Honestly for most people Linux isn't actually any better than Windows. I guess it's slightly better now, because it's more like, W7, rather than the slightly more garbage W10 that's current. But it's a marginal difference, and unless you really get down into the nuts and bolts of it, you aren't going to get significantly improved performance out of it.

Anyway, regarding PCs - I've used Lenovos for quite a few years now, and they've served me very well. The only caveat is their warranty, mainly because their repairs centre is based in Germany I think, so if you have to claim something you'll have to say goodbye for at least a week. While they've slightly been on a downturn the last couple years (the 500 series in particular is quite poor now, which is a shame as it was the one I defaulted to using previously) they are on the whole pretty good. I've heard good things about Asus otherwise, and HP are apparently now on the up and up, so those are probably worth considering.

If you're only going to be gaming casually, but want the benefit of portability and tablet like use, I'd seriously suggest considering a Microsoft Surface. It runs most typical "low level" PC games (such as League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone, I imagine DoW and...probably, the Sims, although 3 I hear is somewhat poorly optimized on the whole so, your mileage may vary), and is quick enough otherwise, but has the benefit of being very compact and light (still with a reasonable screensize, although it's not a behemoth) and having the "tablet mode" which is actually a lot nicer than I thought it was. Unlike iPads and the like, it is functionally a PC - it's the same W10 as you'd have on a traditional laptop, but that is on a portable tablet like device. It's probably worth picking up a wireless (or wired, if you really wanted) mouse for gaming and/or external HDD just to carry your files you don't use much on there, but I'd suggest those even for a more typical laptop (or even a desktop).

Thanks for the advice, will definitely choose PC over Mac cuz Sims is lifffeee ( currently can't play cuz we have a desktop Mac) and I'll consider Lenovos but unsure about the surface just cuz I'll never use a laptop as a tablet so portablity doesn't attract me much

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.