Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm 16 and want to move out. Needing advice. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm 16, I live with my mum and her boyfriend. I have been unhappy at home for a few months now, I don't get on with my family and it's led me to feel very depressed. My friend has said he will happily help me and he has already bought my tickets to travel there. The place is very far away from my home... 632 miles away to be exact. I feel like mine and my mums relationship is being destroyed, I still love her and want to be close with her but I need time away. I'm worried this might tear us apart but I know it will make me feel better. What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    I always advise people that their life is theirs to live and theirs alone. If you take an action, you are responsible for it, not your ma, not your pa, not your uncle's cuz. Your parents brought you to this world, and that's it, you owe them nothing, if you feel they are making your life miserable and there is a better option then take it.

If you want to keep in touch with your mom, you can visit once in a while or make use of the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, consider your other options because 600+ miles is a long way, a friend of mine had a struggling relationship with her whole family so she decided to call up social services, and now she lives with her foster parents but she can visit her family if she wants. I don't know the logistics of it but maybe look into it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonYmouZzz)
    Okay so I'm 16, I live with my mum and her boyfriend. I have been unhappy at home for a few months now, I don't get on with my family and it's led me to feel very depressed. My friend has said he will happily help me and he has already bought my tickets to travel there. The place is very far away from my home... 632 miles away to be exact. I feel like mine and my mums relationship is being destroyed, I still love her and want to be close with her but I need time away. I'm worried this might tear us apart but I know it will make me feel better. What should I do?
    It's quite difficult to move out at 16 because of legal complications. I believe it is possible, but it will probably mean complete financial independence - you'll have to find a job. Is it possible for you to talk to an adult you trust (like someone at school - they usually have to be confidential)? Moving out isn't something that should be taken lightly.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to consider yourself are you financially stable? Do you have enough money for food for a while whilst you look for work at your new place. The better alternative instead of moving 600 miles would be to sort out home life out-maybe contact social services yourself and sort it out-it may even be better for you. Plus, if your mother feels love towards you and wants to see you, you can do.

Also, try to take into account how well you know your friend Is he a childhood friend. Has he changed? Will you eve enjoy being in his company or house? He seems like he has money as he has already arranged tickets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    I think you need to consider yourself are you financially stable? Do you have enough money for food for a while whilst you look for work at your new place. The better alternative instead of moving 600 miles would be to sort out home life out-maybe contact social services yourself and sort it out-it may even be better for you. Plus, if your mother feels love towards you and wants to see you, you can do.

Also, try to take into account how well you know your friend Is he a childhood friend. Has he changed? Will you eve enjoy being in his company or house? He seems like he has money as he has already arranged tickets.
    At the moment I'm not no, my friend has said he will support me financially until I'm up on my feet and can support myself. I have been in contact with many places and asked them to help, I have contacted social services and they told me they wouldn't help. My mum does feel love towards me but can sometimes be very nasty and isn't nice to me when talking to others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sid The Kid)
    Hey, consider your other options because 600+ miles is a long way, a friend of mine had a struggling relationship with her whole family so she decided to call up social services, and now she lives with her foster parents but she can visit her family if she wants. I don't know the logistics of it but maybe look into it?
    I called social services and they said they won't help me. I have close friends around where I want to go and can always get help when I'm there. I don't want to live with people I don't know as I'm not even happy about the area I live in.

ReputationRep:
    Don't take this the wrong way please, I'm just concerned for your safety.

Who is this friend, and how well do you know him? I'm assuming he is older considering he seems to have his own place to invite you to live there. Not to mention can afford to pay your travel and support you while there? I'm just concerned you may be putting yourself in a vulnerable position. It's not uncommon for young people to be taken advantage of in these situations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Don't take this the wrong way please, I'm just concerned for your safety.

Who is this friend, and how well do you know him? I'm assuming he is older considering he seems to have his own place to invite you to live there. Not to mention can afford to pay your travel and support you while there? I'm just concerned you may be putting yourself in a vulnerable position. It's not uncommon for young people to be taken advantage of in these situations.
    I have been good friends with him for a few years, I'm also very close friends with his other friends and my cousin is one of those. I thought about all the possibilities and spoke to him about it and he told me that he knows I'm in a bad situation right now and wants to help me best he can.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldnt it be better to wait until uni- u can move out but wont be too far apart.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N/A IS THE NAME)
    Wouldnt it be better to wait until uni- u can move out but wont be too far apart.
    I'm not wanting to go to uni, I have even dropped out of college.

Please seek medical help. Visit your doctor. Trust me no matter how depressing life gets and how trapped you feel there is ALWAYS help available and it WILL get better. Talk to people and they will help you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.