Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to both these universities. Now I just have to decide which one to go to. Both look good but I was wondering which one is more highly regarded for building surveying?
    Both Bristol and Sheffield seem like nice cities. But Bristol is more attractive to me coming from Cornwall because it is a lot closer than Sheffield. But Ultimately I want to go to which ever uni offers the best degree which will help me to become a chartered surveyor
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jowan James)
    I have applied to both these universities. Now I just have to decide which one to go to. Both look good but I was wondering which one is more highly regarded for building surveying?
    Both Bristol and Sheffield seem like nice cities. But Bristol is more attractive to me coming from Cornwall because it is a lot closer than Sheffield. But Ultimately I want to go to which ever uni offers the best degree which will help me to become a chartered surveyor
    Hi Jowan James

Sophie and Lauren who are currently study Building Surveying course, shared their thoughts on the course and I thought they'd be helpful for you.

'The course is good. There is a range of topics covered in the subject. In the first year you study an overview of topics that link to the built environment such as built environment law, materials and economics but there are also a couple of projects that link to building surveying specifically. In my first year we took on some outdoor projects as in our module ‘surveying’ and some lab work in our module ‘materials’. All the projects are entirely hypothetical but do give an idea of real work in industry. In my favourite assessment of the first year we were taken to a building owned by Hallam and told to produce to scale floor plans and a specification for the renovation of the building into anything we wanted to make it.

Sophie'

'I would thoroughly recommend the building surveying course to someone who is interested in the profession due to the ratio between field work, lab work and time spent in lectures and seminars. As Sophie mentioned, it gives you an idea of what work would be like as a building surveyor in industry. There is also an opportunity to become a student representative for your group, this allows you to collect opinions from your class about the course and voice it to the lecturing staff.

Furthermore, the course is accredited which enables you to become a Chartered Building Surveyor with the RICS; you can complete year one of APC within placement year and carry it forward after graduation. Overall it is a great course with plenty of opportunities to grow as a surveyor and as a professional in industry.

Lauren'

For Sheffield as a city, Sheffield Hallam is based right in the centre so if you live in the city centre, that's where our City Campus is. Everything is a walk away, food, entertainment, culture and the nightlife. You'll probably be based in the City Campus for studying Building Surveying but if you are wanting to see a greener view. You'll have to check out Collegiate Campus and explore the area around there, it's really nice. It is 20 minutes walk away but you can get the bus to there, it will be quicker.

Sometimes, it is better to visit the university to gain an insight to see where you'll be studying for the next 3/4 years. Our next open day is on the 25 November and it will be the perfect opportunity to come and meet some of the students that are currently studying the course and ask them any questions that you may have. https://www.shu.ac.uk/visit-us/open-days

Let me know if you are wanting to know more,

Reanne

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help. Yeah I am planning to attend that open day on the November 25th
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help. Yeah I am planning to attend that open day on the November 25th
    Awesome

If you feel you have any more questions that you didn't ask at the open day, ask away on here and I will reply!

Enjoy our open day!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Although I can't offer you any advice on the course itself, I'm a third year at Sheffield Hallam university (studying English language) so if you do have any more questions about studying here in general or living in Sheffield as a student, do let me know!

Ellie

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Although I don't study the course you're interested in, I'm also a student at Hallam. So, as SHUGURU said, if you have any other questions relating to the University, City, etc. just let me know!

Anna

ReputationRep:
    Bristol area is awesome and UWE is well thought of .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.