Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to do 4 A Levels, but drop one later? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I have my heart set on English Lit (not too sure about language), but I cannot choose between History, Religious Studies or Art. I’m aiming to become a primary school teacher (teaching English), so which two subjects would be most relevant and useful to that kind of career? I love Art with a passion, I’m interested in History and I feel that an A in it will be most helpful in the future, but then Religious Studies is sort of captivating to me, and I believe I am good at it.

Is it possible to do English Lit, History, Art and Religious Studies A levels in Year 12, then drop the subject I’m feeling less content with in Year 13?
    Honestly, I am not all confident with History, but I feel it is more respected then Religious Education and Art.
    Art has always been a special subject for me, and I’d hate to leave it (taking into account I always have the need to let my creativity flow) so I was thinking I could drop that in Year 13?
    Religious Education is simple, and for me, very easy to learn and write about.

What do I choose, if I want a job in primary school teaching, or a career with some relation to English? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I’m planning to go university to study English!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I was gonna advice on History as there's nothing more reassuring than having a background in that field. The insight you'd be able to give those adorable kids will be spectacular.

But I'm always of the opinion that where your heart is should be where your legs are. If you love RS, then study it and you won't regret it.

As for Arts, gradually detach it from your school life and make it a hobby. Why do you have the impression that school is the only way to release your artistic juices.

Hope I helped. Stay cool.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstelleA)
    So I have my heart set on English Lit (not too sure about language), but I cannot choose between History, Religious Studies or Art. I’m aiming to become a primary school teacher (teaching English), so which two subjects would be most relevant and useful to that kind of career? I love Art with a passion, I’m interested in History and I feel that an A in it will be most helpful in the future, but then Religious Studies is sort of captivating to me, and I believe I am good at it.

Is it possible to do English Lit, History, Art and Religious Studies A levels in Year 12, then drop the subject I’m feeling less content with in Year 13?
    Honestly, I am not all confident with History, but I feel it is more respected then Religious Education and Art.
    Art has always been a special subject for me, and I’d hate to leave it (taking into account I always have the need to let my creativity flow) so I was thinking I could drop that in Year 13?

What do I choose, if I want a job in primary school teaching, or a career with some relation to English? Thank you!
    It's uncommon to do 4 A-levels unless you are doing Maths & FM, but you could certainly take 4 to AS-level (does your school sit AS-level exams?*) and then drop one - I'd caution that Art can be quite a bit of work which might not be a good idea in Y13 unless you really enjoy it.

It will make no difference to your degree or being a teacher. [Edit to add: All your subjects are perfectly fine (including Art) for an English degree.]

*That's an important consideration. Some schools don't sit AS-levels now with linear subjects and that could mean you do a years worth of work but have nothing to show for it if you drop it.

ReputationRep:
    That's something that will be quite specific to your own school; you need to have a discussion with them. Without AS levels now I think that you're teachers will be reluctant to let you take up a subject which you are going to be getting no qualifications for. Also, it's possible that you will struggle with 4 subjects- taking 3 will give you lots more free time to do other things e.g. extra curricular that will help you to become a more well rounded person.

Things for you to think about if you decide to take only 3 after talking to teachers:
    If you want to apply for english lit at uni then you need to look up course requirements. English lit will of course be required but you should do research into whether taking history will at all help you, as I think you seem most reluctant to take it.

Keep in mind that art is something you can easily take up as a hobby without having any added pressure with it?

Religious studies a level is not like gcse; you can't just memorise answers but you actually need to understand each theory well to answer application questions etc. So all I would say is don't pick this just because you think it will be easy, as no a level is.

Basically you need English lit but I'm pretty sure your other options won't matter as much- but you NEED to check uni requirements if you're planning on applying and try and work out whether art will be a suitable third a level if you decide to choose only 3. If art is suitable and you choose 4, then I would say drop the one you are struggling with most after year 12. If you discover art is not suitable, then I think it would be sensible to drop this one after year 12 if you're absolutely desperate to take it for a year anyway.
    Your teachers will definitely help you more than me.

Good luck :-)

ReputationRep:
    To become an English Teacher, I would need to take English in university.
    These are the requirements for the course:
    Grades ABB at A-Level. This must include grade A or above in A-Level English Literature or English Language and Literature. Excludes General Studies and Critical Thinking.

I will be taking English Lit A-level, but what about the other two? History, RS or Art? Which ones would be more respected for the requirements of the course in this university, and to become a primary school teacher?

ReputationRep:
    Could you do 4 a levels for a couple months? You’ll quickly find whether you are getting the hang out of the styled essays in history/rs, or whether art becomes too work intensive/whatever else.
    I personally do maths, further maths and physics, and I did do econ for about 7 months but dropped it (no chance of sitting an AS for me). I knew from a few months of it was my weakest and I just wasn’t interested and I’m assuming you’ll find the same.
    So I’d recommend try all 4 for a few months, and you’ll then see what you enjoy and are naturally good at to an A Level standard

ReputationRep:

I would say drop one during ur first year (at the beginning). I done 4 inc geography (AS) and i knew didnt want to do geography for A2- just in case i flopped one.
    But this was my biggest mistake, i realised AS isnt that hard if u put ur mind to it- so 4 AS subjects was just extra stress for me.

ReputationRep:
    To become an English Teacher, I would need to take English in university.
    These are the requirements for the course:
    Grades ABB at A-Level. This must include grade A or above in A-Level English Literature or English Language and Literature. Excludes General Studies and Critical Thinking.

I will be taking English Lit A-level, but what about the other two? History, RS or Art? Which ones would be more respected for the requirements of the course in this university, and to become a primary school teacher?
    None of them are more respected. Do whatever you feel will give you the best grades which has to be your ultimate aim. The other subjects would only really matter if you wanted to do a combined degree e.g, English Literature and History.

ReputationRep:
    You are in a very similar situation to me a few weeks ago. I'd say speak to your teachers or your pastoral manager- they know best and they are the ones that will enter you into the exam. I hope everything goes well!

ReputationRep:

i am currently in year 13 and personally took 3 a levels but a few of my friends took 4. i would suggest if you are unsure at the moment to take 4 and just see how it goes, immersing yourself in the subjects and giving them a go will definitely help you decide which 3 you want to take at A Level (year 13).
    personally, I am currently taking english literature, religious studies and biology. i have some friends that take art for a level and say it is very time consuming and requires a lot of effort and attention, but as do most a levels. i'm not sure whether taking 4 subjects including art would be a hefty workload, but if you are willing to take the challenge then go for it.
    just go for the subjects which you enjoy the most!!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all the answers! For now, I’m hoping to take 3 A Levels: English Lit, Religious Studies and Art

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all the answers! For now, I’m hoping to take 3 A Levels: English Lit, Religious Studies and Art
    Reading through the thread, I think that’s the right choice for you! Taking subjects you enjoy will increase your grades and make sixth form worthwhile and enjoyable. Getting better grades is ultimately more respected than having a certain subject, so really don’t worry about it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.