Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi i need a lil bit of advice from someone with a clearer head than myself/my family who wont give an answer based on their personal feelings...so inevitably i turned to the internet ! anyway, i fought so hard during sixth form to get my a-levels despite really bad anxiety issues, i travelled to another country to go to university and spent a lot of money getting everything for my flat and it took SO much energy and willpower to do all of that.. and then i took sick on the SECOND day of uni. here's a bit of info on it to explain why im *considering* not going back:

it 100% wasnt freshers flu, i got genuinely very sick. first i got really severe problems with my asthma and had to fly back home, i only planned on staying for one week until i felt better because i didnt feel comfortable being alone in my flat considering i didnt really know anyone yet and i was so far from home. i got home and collapsed less than a week later and smacked my head off the bathroom floor and had to go to hospital. i had to get seven blood tests done and i'm apparently also anaemic and have other vitamin deficiencies for some reason ?? (which i've never had before) so i got put on a lot more medication. i'd been put on the pill two days before i moved to uni for my polycystic ovarian syndrome, and turns out it doesnt agree with me is making me more ill the longer i take it, so yesterday i got given different ones which supposedly cause strokes/clots so my family want me to stay home until they see how its effecting me. > that's like a massive explanation of my medical history in the past two months but it's crucial for putting into context how im really not exaggerating the fact that i cant really get on a plane and go back lol

so that's all well and good except that means i won't be able to go back to uni until MID-NOVEMBER which will mean i would have missed like three months of uni, so it would be entirely pointless to go back. i've been in hospital and i've not been keeping up with all of the catch-up work, also because not all of it is even added to the website, which is understandable because most other people have attended lectures and wont need it. my family REALLY dont want me to go back to uni, but they didnt want me to go in the first place. i really do want to go back but it just feels futile, ive missed my window of opportunity for making friends and ive missed SO much work.

basically what im asking is, is there really any point in going back? should i just give it up (i probably wont go back next year, this time around cost way too much time and money and my family wouldnt be so supportive if i tried again, and they dont offer the course i want in my country)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenmary,)
    hi i need a lil bit of advice from someone with a clearer head than myself/my family who wont give an answer based on their personal feelings...so inevitably i turned to the internet ! anyway, i fought so hard during sixth form to get my a-levels despite really bad anxiety issues, i travelled to another country to go to university and spent a lot of money getting everything for my flat and it took SO much energy and willpower to do all of that.. and then i took sick on the SECOND day of uni. here's a bit of info on it to explain why im *considering* not going back:

it 100% wasnt freshers flu, i got genuinely very sick. first i got really severe problems with my asthma and had to fly back home, i only planned on staying for one week until i felt better because i didnt feel comfortable being alone in my flat considering i didnt really know anyone yet and i was so far from home. i got home and collapsed less than a week later and smacked my head off the bathroom floor and had to go to hospital. i had to get seven blood tests done and i'm apparently also anaemic and have other vitamin deficiencies for some reason ?? (which i've never had before) so i got put on a lot more medication. i'd been put on the pill two days before i moved to uni for my polycystic ovarian syndrome, and turns out it doesnt agree with me is making me more ill the longer i take it, so yesterday i got given different ones which supposedly cause strokes/clots so my family want me to stay home until they see how its effecting me. > that's like a massive explanation of my medical history in the past two months but it's crucial for putting into context how im really not exaggerating the fact that i cant really get on a plane and go back lol

so that's all well and good except that means i won't be able to go back to uni until MID-NOVEMBER which will mean i would have missed like three months of uni, so it would be entirely pointless to go back. i've been in hospital and i've not been keeping up with all of the catch-up work, also because not all of it is even added to the website, which is understandable because most other people have attended lectures and wont need it. my family REALLY dont want me to go back to uni, but they didnt want me to go in the first place. i really do want to go back but it just feels futile, ive missed my window of opportunity for making friends and ive missed SO much work.

basically what im asking is, is there really any point in going back? should i just give it up (i probably wont go back next year, this time around cost way too much time and money and my family wouldnt be so supportive if i tried again, and they dont offer the course i want in my country)
    if you're not going to return next year then I don't see a point completing year 1 then dropping out, however you seem to like the course very much (considering you moved to another country) so why have you made up your mind to not go back next year-rather than complete the degree.-you can 100% catch up-you'll have to say goodbye to your social life-but since you have no friends there its not the worst thing in the world

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.