Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just got the document forwarded to me that shows the exam rules - it says no food in the exam hall?! I've always had something to eat in an exam; probably the only way I get through them (I think with my stomach you see :P)

But seriously given how I've normally always had food in an exam, and the school knows that, do you reckon they just won't care or?

ReputationRep:
    I’m pretty sure you can take a little bag of sweets or something in but I’m not sure if you can take a sandwich or something. Tbh I would find it pretty distracting if some guy started eating a sandwich next to me...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Your school shouldn't have let you have food in exams in the past, as it has clearly set a precedent.

Hopefully, your school will follow the JCQ rules and not allow you to take food in with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12ksmith)
    I’m pretty sure you can take a little bag of sweets or something in but I’m not sure if you can take a sandwich or something. Tbh I would find it pretty distracting if some guy started eating a sandwich next to me...
    For me it was always a small choccie bar, you know? And besides I'm not in the main exam hall so I can't bother anyone else.

I might as well bring some chocolate, feigning ignorance, and let the invigilator decide.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by DrSebWilkes)
    I just got the document forwarded to me that shows the exam rules - it says no food in the exam hall?! I've always had something to eat in an exam; probably the only way I get through them (I think with my stomach you see :P)

But seriously given how I've normally always had food in an exam, and the school knows that, do you reckon they just won't care or?
    Ive never had.

Rules are rules though, but you can always ask.

As long as it isnt crisps or anything smelly or noisy then it wouldnt bother me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Hopefully, your school will follow the JCQ rules and not allow you to take food in with you.
    There's no such JCQ rule.

ReputationRep:

my ict teacher gave us sweets during our 3hr practical exam

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was only permissible if you had a medical condition that required to you to eat in regular intervals or whatever. Could be wrong though. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm okay well as I say I'll show my invigilator (as I'm on my own) and she what she says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forecast)
    There's no such JCQ rule.
    Having gone to the horse's mouth and not accepted our examinations officer's word for it, I can concur:

"Food and drink may be allowed in the examination room at the discretion of the head of centre. However, this is on the condition that any food brought into the examination room by the candidate is free from packaging and all labels are removed from drink containers."

If I were the OP, I'd be asking my 'head of centre'.

ReputationRep:

Rules are rules. Just eat well before the exam and you should be fine. I've sat through 3.5-hour papers before with no problem. That said, it's difficult to feel hungry when you're up to your ears in maths...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm okay well as I say I'll show my invigilator (as I'm on my own) and she what she says.
    If you're on your own you should be fine as you can't disturb anyone!

ReputationRep:
    JCQ says it's up to the head of the exam centre. Very possible that they've said it's fine, but the food has to be free of packaging (kind of like how you're not supposed to have the label on a water bottle). That's the only condition the JCQ has set.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

When I was in exams, there was no problem to eat something. And I have eaten some sweets and a little lunch during the exam. If the rules are so stirct, I would recommend you to eat before the exams begins.

ReputationRep:
    Why is this in Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Why is this in Oxbridge?
    Entrance exams innit

ReputationRep:
    wtf. never heard of having food during an exam. Obviously it's different with a medical condition
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I notice this is an older thread, so you may have already sat any entrance exams. But for reference (and for your A2s), food can be allowed, under certain circumstances. A good portion of centres will be lenient with eg one or two sweets/biscuits. Bear in mind most exams are maximum 3 hours long, with an average being ~90 minutes.

If this isn't enough, you'd have to talk to your head of school/head of exams in good time before the exam season and this person would sort out access requirements.

If you have documented evidence of a disability that needs food or rest breaks for food (like IBS/IBD or diabetes) you're more likely to be successful. The kind of food you can have will probably be limited to being not noisy (no packaging) and not excessive - think 2-3 medium sized unwrapped cereal bars (as a generic example).

Every centre will have a different policy, so speak to the person who organises exams at your school and your headteacher and they can try and arrange appropriate accommodations for you. It is certainly possible and I know this from a school friend with type I diabetes who was allowed this on medical grounds.

Best of luck w it and if it turns out you don't have a medical condition and eating is just a manageable personal preference, best of luck with your exams anyways.

ReputationRep:
    it's an exam, not a picnic :rolleyes:

suck a gobstopper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    I notice this is an older thread, so you may have already sat any entrance exams. But for reference (and for your A2s), food can be allowed, under certain circumstances. A good portion of centres will be lenient with eg one or two sweets/biscuits. Bear in mind most exams are maximum 3 hours long, with an average being ~90 minutes.

If this isn't enough, you'd have to talk to your head of school/head of exams in good time before the exam season and this person would sort out access requirements.

If you have documented evidence of a disability that needs food or rest breaks for food (like IBS/IBD or diabetes) you're more likely to be successful. The kind of food you can have will probably be limited to being not noisy (no packaging) and not excessive - think 2-3 medium sized unwrapped cereal bars (as a generic example).

Every centre will have a different policy, so speak to the person who organises exams at your school and your headteacher and they can try and arrange appropriate accommodations for you. It is certainly possible and I know this from a school friend with type I diabetes who was allowed this on medical grounds.

Best of luck w it and if it turns out you don't have a medical condition and eating is just a manageable personal preference, best of luck with your exams anyways.
    I actually thought it was only available as an access arrangement too, but the JCQ says it is actually up to the exam centre's head if this is in relation to school exams*. Not entirely sure about entrance exams which is what the OP was querying. However, at university I think it actually is an access arrangement, although this may be different in different universities as each university has their own protocol to follow, but this is generally similar across all universities to my knowledge (I noticed it was an option when adjusting my own access arrangements with my disability support worker throughout the time I was at university).

* Look on JCQ's website under the Instructions for Conducting Examinations (ICE) 2017/2018 and see page 29. You are correct in that it needs to be without packaging (much like water bottles cannot have labels on it).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.