Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Album of the Year - Nominations Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Come December we'll be running the voting for Album of the Year, but first of all, it's nomination time!

Throughout November this thread will be open for you to put forward your favourite album for the shortlist. Just post in here with the album and artist, then a short paragraph as to why it should be Album of the Year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Orange - MonaLisa Twins
    A very good album and could really kick-start their professional singing career! It marks 10th anniversary of the first album they released. It is very relaxing just to have in the car as some background music, and all of them are original songs written by them

ReputationRep:
    love what survives by mount kimbie

been disappointed by a few albums this year, especially visions of a life
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So I have a few.

Mike Oldfield - Return To Ommadawn
    While it is an entirely new composition, it's highly reminiscent of the original Ommadawn. It explores a musical theme fluidly and is a pleasure to listen to and shows that Oldfield still has the chops to write beautiful progressive music.

Fen - Winter
    Fen's fifth full length really demonstrates their progressive songwriting and pushing their own musical boundaries while still staying both heavy and soft at the right times.

AIHVHIA - Planet
    This is the follow up to the enormously varied album, Turritopsis Nutricula. Instead of playing every genre possible in two and a half hours, this time Jonathan has gone for an entirely folk/pop/rock album weighing in at "only" two hours. What I really appreciated about this is that he ran a competition to find a secret hidden track using some really interesting physics principals, and all of the profits from the album were donated to the hurricane Harvey relief effort.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Liam Gallagher - As You Were

In the 21st Century big selling albums selling copies is as good as dead with services involving online streaming and mp3 downloading. yet over a month since release AYW is still in the top 10 and is also a #1 Album. Not only that, but it has all you can ask for from and Oasis/Rock/Indie/Pop/beatles melting pot of musical taste. Theres slow and deep songs, fast and upbeat songs, and everything in the middle. Liam's voice has obviously changed over the years due to the nature of his method but this album is a fine return to form in which he has wrote most of the album which is special in itself. Love or Hate him, this is a great album. Tracks to listen to: For What Its Worth, Greedy Soul, Wall of Glass.

ReputationRep:
    Lord's Melodrama
    Harry Styles's Harry Styles
    Niall Horan's Flicker
    Sam Smith's The Thrill of It
    P!nk's Beautiful Trauma
    Kelly Clarkson's Meaning of Life
    Sheryl Crow's Be Myself
    Lana Del Rey's Lust for Life
    Kesha's Rainbow
    Miley Cyrus's Younger Now
    Demi Lovato's Tell Me You Love Me
    Shakira's El Dorado
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Can't narrow it down beyond my favourite three this year:

Emperor of Sand - Mastodon

Truely phenomenal album - cut from the same cloth as the 2009 masterpiece Crack the Skye; it's essentially incredibly beefy prog rock. Technically excellent, absolutely huge in scope. Possibly the best metal album I've got.

Songs to listen to: The entire album of course, it's 11 tracks that flow into each other perfectly, but my favourite is Words to the Wise

Wolves - Rise Against

Was excited for this the moment the US presidental election happened, when politics is in the *****er, punk reaches its' pinnacle. This didn't disappoint - it's tight, it's charged and constantly ready to boil over.

Songs to listen to: Parts per Million, Welcome to the Breakdown

The Spark - Enter Shikari
    They've never been a band with a set sound as such, shifting from electronic to rock to pop usually in the course of three songs. Doesn't change here as they slide through the deceptively cheery pop sounding Live Outside, to the electro-tinged Rabble Rouser, via the post-punk esque Take My Country Back and the soft ballad Airfield, and yet it all knits together into a focused and passionate album.

Songs to listen to: Revolt of the Atoms, Take My Country Back

ReputationRep:
    The Anthropocene Extinction

ReputationRep:
    Love yourself: Her - BTS

Spoiler:
    Show

huehuehue

ReputationRep:
    lorde - melodrama
    logic - everybody

ReputationRep:
    just waiting for the new death grips album to drop
    So uh
    Poison the Parish by Seether I guess

ReputationRep:
    Broken Machine - Nothing But Thieves

Broken Machine is the 2nd album by the Essex band (and local heroes I suppose to me), Nothing But Thieves. It touches on themes ranging from the misrepresentation of the news from the Daily Mail (Live Like Animals) to the effects of mental health (Soda, Get Better). It's an album which really connects the young people of today and how they think, tackling issues affecting their lives and futures from their perspective. The lyrics are poignant, especially in Particles (a song which explores the way mental health can make a person feel). and evokes a sense of empathy. Hard rock sounds from I Was Just A Kid are explored alongside the gentle acoustics of Hell, Yeah. It truly is a special album and the band come together to produce a truly unique sound. Conor Mason's vocals are breathtaking and explores a majestic vocal range unconventionally used in rock music. Their sound is influenced from musicians/bands such as Jeff Buckley, Muse and Radiohead, which becomes clear upon listening to their tracks.

ReputationRep:
    I loved the last Frank Carter release.

ReputationRep:
    if this counts....OKNOTOKComputer by radiohead, they released some previously unreleased material. good songs.

Beck's album, colours, was pretty decent, but my top favourite is The Church - man death infinity

although morrissey and bjork are releasing albums soon to come atm, so my preferences might change

i don't really listen to his stuff as much as i should, but sam smith's songs are stunning so i reckon he deserves a top place in album of the year (tho he wouldn't be my first choice bc of my taste in music)

and UGH @ the people who said gallgher's album lmao

ReputationRep:
    J Hus - Common Sense, for sure!

ReputationRep:
    Oh Wonder's 'Ultralife' - I could listen to every song on there for days. Beautiful and electric and pop-y and just a brilliant album.

ReputationRep:
    Kendrick Lamar - DAMN

Beautifully produced, written and, well, everything else. It just doesn't get better than this

ReputationRep:
    The killers - Wonderful Wonderful
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Manitude)
      So I have a few.

Mike Oldfield - Return To Ommadawn
      While it is an entirely new composition, it's highly reminiscent of the original Ommadawn. It explores a musical theme fluidly and is a pleasure to listen to and shows that Oldfield still has the chops to write beautiful progressive music.

Fen - Winter
      Fen's fifth full length really demonstrates their progressive songwriting and pushing their own musical boundaries while still staying both heavy and soft at the right times.

AIHVHIA - Planet
      This is the follow up to the enormously varied album, Turritopsis Nutricula. Instead of playing every genre possible in two and a half hours, this time Jonathan has gone for an entirely folk/pop/rock album weighing in at "only" two hours. What I really appreciated about this is that he ran a competition to find a secret hidden track using some really interesting physics principals, and all of the profits from the album were donated to the hurricane Harvey relief effort.
      I haven't come across this yet, have to look for it.

For me it's probably is this the life we really want? - it's a good follow-up (sequel, even) to both Animals and Amused to Death.
      • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
      Here are some of my favourites this year in no particular order:

Wolf Alice: Visions of a Life
      Mogwai: Every Country's Sun
      Max Richter: Three Worlds: Music from Woolf Works
      St Vincent: Masseduction
      Alvvays: Antisocialites
      William Basinski: A Shadow in Time
      Cherry Glazerr: Apocalipstick
      Japanese Breakfast: Soft Sounds from Another Planet
      Brand New: Science Fiction

There's a few albums I was really looking forward to which all had a few pretty good songs (Slowdive, Mastodon, Steven Wilson, Anathema...) but as albums I found them a bit disappointing...

I'm looking forward to hearing the new one from Björk though

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.