Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can a Uni Revoke an Offer if I Question the Fee Status Assessment? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I received an offer from York yesterday but they have mistakenly given me overseas fee status. I have had to contest this as I should be Home/EU and there's no way I could possibly pay overseas fees, but could that lead to the offer being revoked?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBirder)
    I received an offer from York yesterday but they have mistakenly given me overseas fee status. I have had to contest this as I should be Home/EU and there's no way I could possibly pay overseas fees, but could that lead to the offer being revoked?
    There’s a very slim chance but in the current funding regime it’s unlikely.

If you were Scottish and applying to a Scottish university where there’s still strict caps on Scottish intakes then it would be more likely.

I would suggest asking for some feedback about why they classed you as international - it could be that you ticked the wrong box somewhere on ucas. If that’s the case you might have the same problem with your other choices (and it’s worth contacting them to put them right).

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, I forgot to list British as a dual nationality and emailed all my choices about it, even after they made offers, and they were fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    There’s a very slim chance but in the current funding regime it’s unlikely.

If you were Scottish and applying to a Scottish university where there’s still strict caps on Scottish intakes then it would be more likely.

I would suggest asking for some feedback about why they classed you as international - it could be that you ticked the wrong box somewhere on ucas. If that’s the case you might have the same problem with your other choices (and it’s worth contacting them to put them right).
    I've already had a fee status assessment from St Andrews and I was assessed as Scotland/EU.

My situation is a bit complicated because I am a British Citizen who is resident in the EU.

My best guess at where the confusion comes from is that I had to put residence category (not quite sure of exact name of box) as 'other' because the options were 'UK resident' or 'EU resident (non-UK citizen)' and I don't count as either of those. My school contacted UCAS who told me to put down 'other'.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I've already had a fee status assessment from St Andrews and I was assessed as Scotland/EU.

My situation is a bit complicated because I am a British Citizen who is resident in the EU.

My best guess at where the confusion comes from is that I had to put residence category (not quite sure of exact name of box) as 'other' because the options were 'UK resident' or 'EU resident (non-UK citizen)' and I don't count as either of those. My school contacted UCAS who told me to put down 'other'.
    Yeah - that sounds about right. The UCAS categories are crap :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Yeah - that sounds about right. The UCAS categories are crap :yes:
    Do you think I need to contact other unis to clarify my situation or do you think this is just York's error? Since St Andrews didn't classify me as international I'm hoping the other places won't as well.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I need to contact other unis to clarify my situation or do you think this is just York's error? Since St Andrews didn't classify me as international I'm hoping the other places won't as well.
    I'd say just to be prepared for more fee status questionnaires from your other choices but if it's clear you're a British citizen resident in the EU in your application (regardless of the daft "other" category UCAS have crowbarred you into) then any university with decent fee setting procedures will class you correctly (and any that doesn't it should be straight forward to appeal)
    • Very Important Poster

A uni can revoke an offer any time before it is accepted as long as they communicate it to you .

As PQ suggested there is virtually no chance they will revoke your offer over fee status, so I wouldnt worry.

Whether you are classes as home/ international fees is not based on affordability, so be sure you understand and reflect the rules they apply and have made a mistake on when lodging your appeal.

ReputationRep:
    So I've now received confirmation that my fee status was because I selected the residential category of 'other'. It seems like York looked at none of the other information I provided and assumed I must be international based only on that.

Now I have to fill in a ridiculously long fee status form and send loads of supporting documents. Sigh. If anyone intercepts that email then they've got more than enough information to steal my identity...

ReputationRep:
    I sent the fee status appeal stuff three days ago now and I've not got any response, not even an acknowledgement of receipt of the appeal.

Should I call the university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    A uni can revoke an offer any time before it is accepted as long as they communicate it to you .
    Is that true for when all of your chosen 5 uni's have not yet replied? UCAS says:
    You will only be asked to reply to any offers when you've received a decision from all of the universities or colleges you applied to. You will not lose any of your offers waiting for universities or colleges who have not yet made a decision.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by TerribleGrades)
    Is that true for when all of your chosen 5 uni's have not yet replied? UCAS says:
    Sorry I was just going under normal contract. If thats what UCAS says, then no an the person is protected until all five have responded. They could do it afterwards, but I dont believe that happens. It seems that unis are bound, but students are allowed to accept and then revoke as they wish and the unis just have to put up with it.
    An unlikely way to revoke an offer would be if they had found out something wrong with your application i.e the applicant had lied. The offer would also lapse if the applicant failed to meet the condition.

In terms of the OP nothing will happen, but by default they do not have to change the fee status, which has the same effect.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.