Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sexual abuse in the highest rank of the Labour Party Watch

• Very Important Poster

Its going to be rather difficult to investigate with no allegation, complaint or evidence.. Who knows whats on the spreadsheet they are looking at and investigating?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I know the right likes to cry about news not appearing on the BBC or the like, but Labour have just suspended Kelvin Hopkins amidst allegations. Story just broke http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41853430
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Its going to be rather difficult to investigate with no allegation, complaint or evidence.. Who knows whats on the spreadsheet they are looking at and investigating?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41821671

You were saying?

It's to my knowledge the only one the BBC has taken but Guido (not that I expect you will accept them as a source) are reporting a more substantial list including a second rape accusation, privately pursued allegations (I.e. out of the media kangaroo court) and one of the items on the list being corroborated as a not necessarily whole truth in Hansard.

https://order-order.com/2017/11/02/f...-up-by-labour/
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41821671

You were saying?

It's to my knowledge the only one the BBC has taken but Guido (not that I expect you will accept them as a source) are reporting a more substantial list including a second rape accusation, privately pursued allegations (I.e. out of the media kangaroo court) and one of the items on the list being corroborated as a not necessarily whole truth in Hansard.

https://order-order.com/2017/11/02/f...-up-by-labour/
    I was talking abut Fiona Jones who is the subject of this thread.
    So yes I was saying and you were failing to understand as usual.

The police are investigating a number of allegations and only they know the full list and will decide whether theres any basis to them warranting actual charges.

Just because someone prints an allegation on a website does not make it fact.

There is no political angle to this from my part although you seem desperate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generallee)
    To your second point, it depends on what you mean by political bias. I don't think they are biased in a party political sense, but clearly have a bias on political issues. The journalists, editors and senior management share a broad perspective of the world (John Humpries describes coming into work the day after the Brexit vote and the whole of the BBC being in shock, no-one knew a Leave voter) but more, self censor to say what is sayable. As Chomsky says in a fascinating interview with Andrew Marr, who demurs in his own case: you wouldn't be where you are if you didn't."
    This is true to an extent, but I'd say the BBC bias in this sense is more towards Very Serious People. The ideal BBC politics reporter is someone who both utterly drools over every aspect of everyday British politics, but whose own views are incredibly boring, centrist and inoffensive.

To your final point, I was saying something different to what you thought I meant, I think. I contend that the way it was framed was culpably (if unwittingly) self revealing.

The case was lost not won, because they were supporting the side that lost. They shared in the defeat.

I put it to you, that a journalist who on a personal level supported the denial of entry of unaccompanied refugees (I doubt there are any in the whole of the BBC) would have reported that the Government had won the case.
    They might well have done, but my point is that if the only ways to report it are:
    i) The charity lost the case;
    ii) The government won the case;

then even an impartial report still has to pick one of the two on some other basis, and Bornblue provided one - the charity was the party who brought the case, and their name would therefore have appeared first on the case listing.

ReputationRep:
    Reading the letters they clearly show inappropriate infatuation. However the level of inappropriateness and the fact she never it told him it wasn't welcome and to stop suggests it's not national news harassment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.