Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I just might disown my parents and kill myself. Watch

Bullying by family relatives Is a common element In almost every family household, and although this Is particularly normalized I completely detested that I had to live such a lifestyle. During my childhood, among all my family members and most importantly my parents I had this noticeable zeal that I wanted my brothers to stop bullying me. But despite my desperate attempts to get the attention of my parents (threatening to leave the house, stirring up physical fights with my brothers, existing rooms with complete rage, threatening to sleep on the street and locking myself In bathrooms) In order to help me, they mocked my attempts and never really acknowledged how serious of an issue this was to me.

This was already emotionally taxing during my childhood (and still Is), but as time passed on I found my life even more detestable that I began to resort to actively and excessively watching movies and TV shows, playing video games and hanging out with my best friends as devices for escapism to maintain my sanity.

My parents really only care about one thing when It comes to family, and that's how well we do (me and my brothers) do educationally. The result was (and still Is) that my parents would inhibit me and my brothers from engaging In outdoor activities, we'd never spend time as a family together (to the point that even though we do have a dining table, we never sit down as a family together to eat together and discuss our lives. It's happened for nearly a decade) and we never travel. Because I have the lowest educational status between my brothers, my parents always look at me as the weakest link In my family.

My parents use this as a benchmark to determine favoritism and so as you'd expect, I'm discriminated against the most. They never value my opinions and believe that I'm nearsighted even though they're the ones that are evidently simple-minded, they celebrate my brother's hobbies but even though I share the same hobbies with them I'm victimized and condemned for engaging In such behavior and overall they show no respect towards me (I don't know whether It's a mental condition, but I struggled with maths Immensely In pre school and my Dad called me stupid In one instance when I asked for his guidance. During secondary school I received a low grade on one of my Maths tests and my Dad said that I wasted his investment In my education because of It) and for my concerns by completely dismissing them or threatening me If It's a controversial opinion (My Dad once threatened to kick me out of the house because I disagreed with him).

From as far as my childhood one thought that's always come to mind when people ask (or at least when I think about those aspects of my life) me what wisdom I gathered from my parents raising me It would be that I'm thankful for all their flaws because I'd know how not to **** parenting as much as they've done with me and my brothers. Despite those being past incidents they still behave this way. Those are just a few of their behavioral characteristics that infuriate me but overall, the tyrannical and inconsiderate nature of my Dad, Mum and one of my brothers has caused me to reach a breaking point. I'm finding this life completely unbearable and for my emotional health I'm considering disowning my family.

If I being completely honest, my religious beliefs (I'm Christian) Is what's hindering me from doing this (and I wouldn't like to, but I'm finding It more difficult to move forward). I've discussed my concerns with them, but as you'd expect they dismissed them and any positive change they try to make has always been effortless. I'm hoping that I don't have to anything like this and so I'd appreciate both religious and non-religious advice.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to a teacher or counsellor at your school and tell them how you feel and tell them that you are not receiving adequate support at home. You should also visit the doctors an explain how you've been feeling.

Have you tried explaining the above to your parents?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You may have Dyscalculia, a mental disorder which means that you find maths hard
    (I can't give you a diagnosis, but if you see a psychologist, or doctor, they may say the same thing)
    Have you ever tried talking to your parents, in private to explain how your feeling. If they listen, they may start treating you better.
    If not, just start ignoring them if they start getting angry at you, then they may start to think about how their actions are affecting you. Or they will get more annoyed at you. I do it. It works both ways for me.
    Have you tried talking to school about this, because they could try and get something sorted for you.

Are you under 19? And in the UK?
    If so, try contacting Childline and you may be able to get advice on how to deal with this situation.

(Original post by del1rious)
    Talk to a teacher or counsellor at your school and tell them how you feel and tell them that you are not receiving adequate support at home. You should also visit the doctors and explain how you've been feeling.

Have you tried explaining the above to your parents?
    I've finished school, and I did discuss with them but they showed no concern.I might try the doctor though.

ReputationRep:
    your family sounds awful. you must take responsibility for your life & move on. there are plenty of Christian organizations who can help you. don't give up.

(Original post by NBingham)
    You may have Dyscalculia, a mental disorder which means that you find maths hard
    (I can't give you a diagnosis, but if you see a psychologist, or doctor, they may say the same thing)
    Have you ever tried talking to your parents, in private to explain how your feeling. If they listen, they may start treating you better.
    If not, just start ignoring them if they start getting angry at you, then they may start to think about how their actions are affecting you. Or they will get more annoyed at you. I do it. It works both ways for me.
    Have you tried talking to school about this, because they could try and get something sorted for you.

Are you under 19? And in the UK?
    If so, try contacting Childline and you may be able to get advice on how to deal with this situation.
    I don't find Math difficult anymore but In the past I struggled immensely. I've discussed It with them but the share no concern and any difference they've tried to make has been effortless. I complete school recently, so finding assistance from any Is not possible. I am 18, but I don't live in the UK. This may sound cynical, but at the first opportunity that I can seek settlement In another country and finance my self adequately I'll immediately sever any connection with my family. I don't want to do It, but I feel like I need to In order to maintain my sanity and be mental and emotionally healthy.

(Original post by the bear)
    your family sounds awful. you must take responsibility for your life & move on. there are plenty of Christian organizations who can help you. don't give up.
    I think that as a result of their parenting my household is extremely dysfunctional. I do get on decently well with my brothers, but we all have this aligned dislike towards our parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I think that as a result of their parenting my household is extremely dysfunctional. I do get on decently well with my brothers, but we all have this aligned dislike towards our parents.
    you need a fresh start away from this unhealthy situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Bullying by family relatives Is a common element In almost every family household, and although this Is particularly normalized I completely detested that I had to live such a lifestyle. During my childhood, among all my family members and most importantly my parents I had this noticeable zeal that I wanted my brothers to stop bullying me. But despite my desperate attempts to get the attention of my parents (threatening to leave the house, stirring up physical fights with my brothers, existing rooms with complete rage, threatening to sleep on the street and locking myself In bathrooms) In order to help me, they mocked my attempts and never really acknowledged how serious of an issue this was to me.

This was already emotionally taxing during my childhood (and still Is), but as time passed on I found my life even more detestable that I began to resort to actively and excessively watching movies and TV shows, playing video games and hanging out with my best friends as devices for escapism to maintain my sanity.

My parents really only care about one thing when It comes to family, and that's how well we do (me and my brothers) do educationally. The result was (and still Is) that my parents would inhibit me and my brothers from engaging In outdoor activities, we'd never spend time as a family together (to the point that even though we do have a dining table, we never sit down as a family together to eat together and discuss our lives. It's happened for nearly a decade) and we never travel. Because I have the lowest educational status between my brothers, my parents always look at me as the weakest link In my family.

My parents use this as a benchmark to determine favoritism and so as you'd expect, I'm discriminated against the most. They never value my opinions and believe that I'm nearsighted even though they're the ones that are evidently simple-minded, they celebrate my brother's hobbies but even though I share the same hobbies with them I'm victimized and condemned for engaging In such behavior and overall they show no respect towards me (I don't know whether It's a mental condition, but I struggled with maths Immensely In pre school and my Dad called me stupid In one instance when I asked for his guidance. During secondary school I received a low grade on one of my Maths tests and my Dad said that I wasted his investment In my education because of It) and for my concerns by completely dismissing them or threatening me If It's a controversial opinion (My Dad once threatened to kick me out of the house because I disagreed with him).

From as far as my childhood one thought that's always come to mind when people ask (or at least when I think about those aspects of my life) me what wisdom I gathered from my parents raising me It would be that I'm thankful for all their flaws because I'd know how not to f**k parenting as much as they've done with me and my brothers. Despite those being past incidents they still behave this way. Those are just a few of their behavioral characteristics that infuriate me but overall, the tyrannical and inconsiderate nature of my Dad, Mum and one of my brothers has caused me to reach a breaking point. I'm finding this life completely unbearable and for my emotional health I'm considering disowning my family.

If I being completely honest, my religious beliefs (I'm Christian) Is what's hindering me from doing this (and I wouldn't like to, but I'm finding It more difficult to move forward). I've discussed my concerns with them, but as you'd expect they dismissed them and any positive change they try to make has always been effortless. I'm hoping that I don't have to anything like this and so I'd appreciate both religious and non-religious advice.
    Speak to your brother if your parents wont listen to you or dont understand your situation speak to your brother i am sure he was ones in your shoes or loves to see you happier than you are now and speak up that is the best thing you can do dont keep things to yourself it only takes a minute

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.