Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi i am about to begin my last semester of my bachelors degree in pathology and i have never really had a passion for subject, nor did i hate it. Recently i have realized that I hate doing constant lab work, which worries me as it seems that most jobs in pathology are heavy in lab work. Throughout my degree I have done electives in animal and plant biology, which involved a lot of field work which i really enjoyed. Are their any jobs i can get into with my degree that would include field work like this? or is there any further study i can do to get a job like this?
    Any advice would be appreciated, thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noice_hat)
    Hi i am about to begin my last semester of my bachelors degree in pathology and i have never really had a passion for subject, nor did i hate it. Recently i have realized that I hate doing constant lab work, which worries me as it seems that most jobs in pathology are heavy in lab work. Throughout my degree I have done electives in animal and plant biology, which involved a lot of field work which i really enjoyed. Are their any jobs i can get into with my degree that would include field work like this? or is there any further study i can do to get a job like this?
    Any advice would be appreciated, thank you
    Field work usually comes with doing something zoology/botany based or conservation/ecology based. But bear in mind that for jobs in these fields you will need further experience and a postgrad qualification. Otherwise you can do pretty much anything that uses your transferable skills.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Pathology is necessarily a lab based area - while plant pathology (and I suppose animal/veterinary pathology/tissue analysis) is a "thing", it's still going to be a lab based discipline.

If you like fieldwork, then as above, you may want to consider different areas of plant science or animal biology/zoology that focus more on conservation or biodiversity, which tends to feature a lot more fieldwork. You may also want to consider for example Marine Biology, which tends to involve a lot of boatwork, even for more molecularly oriented scientists, or Earth Sciences such as Palaeobiology, which will tend to involve more fieldwork as well (and molecular genetics approaches are becoming more important in that area these days as well, so...).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.