The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

The Official Aston University 2018 Applicants Thread

Came to one of our open days? Applied to us through UCAS? Thinking about student life in Birmingham? This thread is for general discussion about Aston University. Below are some useful links for you:

Our Undergraduate courses, our on campus accommodation. Why student life in Birmingham is so great.

Check out our Aston Life student bloggers and read about their experiences at Aston.

This thread is mainly for you to discuss with other potential students thinking about applying. If you're unsure what to post, you may want to answer the following:

Your name:
Where you're from:
What you're currently studying:
What you're applying for:
Where else you have applied for:

If you have a question, please post it here. Good luck everyone! :crossedf:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm a current Computer Science UG at Aston, feel free to ask me questions :smile:
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Aston Graduate - feel free to ask any questions.
my girlfriend has 4/5 offers and shes applied for business course for Aston but still hasn't received an offer despite it being weeks.

Do the admissions team or whoever deals with ucas... check only after the deadline date or?
Original post by Daniel Graham
my girlfriend has 4/5 offers and shes applied for business course for Aston but still hasn't received an offer despite it being weeks.

Do the admissions team or whoever deals with ucas... check only after the deadline date or?

Hi Daniel,

Aware you've PM'ed me, but figured I would answer publicly as it will be more helpful to the lurkers.

Our admissions teams tend to work on a first come first serve basis with applications, but are steadily working through them. Usually at this time of year the average turn around time is usually a few months. We get a lot of applications and have quite a small team compared to other institutions.

Rest assured, if your girlfriend applied to us through UCAS she will get a decision.

Hope that helps

Josh
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Aston University
Hi Daniel,

Aware you've PM'ed me, but figured i would answer publically as it will be more helpful to the lurkers.

Our admissions teams tend to work on a first come first serve basis with applications, but are steadily working through them. Usually at this time of year the average turn around time is usually a few months. We get a lot of applications and have quite a small team compared to other institutions.

Rest assured, if your girlfriend applied to us through UCAS she will get a decision.

Hope that helps

Josh

Has anyone been made offers at all yet? My gf is looking to study Business Computing & IT....
Reply 6
Original post by vanessa_james
Hey... I just wanted to ask how long did Aston take to respond when you had sent off your application...

It took around a month, maybe month and a half.
Original post by Spratty
It took around a month, maybe month and a half.

Thank you for the help :smile:
Original post by Aston University
Came to one of our open days? Applied to us through UCAS? Thinking about student life in Birmingham? This thread is for general discussion about Aston University. Below are some useful links for you:

Our Undergraduate courses, our on campus accommodation. Why student life in Birmingham is so great.

Check out our Aston Life student bloggers and read about their experiences at Aston.

This thread is mainly for you to discuss with other potential students thinking about applying. If you're unsure what to post, you may want to answer the following:

Your name:
Where you're from:
What you're currently studying:
What you're applying for:
Where else you have applied for:

If you have a question, please post it here. Good luck everyone! :crossedf:

Hi, after seeing Aston fall in the 2018 rankings, do you know why this has happened? It used to be top 30 I think, and do you have any idea if you will rise in the 2019 rankings?...Just curious :smile:
Original post by BassBoy123
Hi, after seeing Aston fall in the 2018 rankings, do you know why this has happened? It used to be top 30 I think, and do you have any idea if you will rise in the 2019 rankings?...Just curious :smile:

Hi BassBoy,

League table rankings can change for a number of reasons, from our research this years drop was mainly due to staff-student ratio, we have been keen to address this and have ran an extensive hiring campaign to improve our number of teaching staff for upcoming term and future years.

However our teaching quality is still some of the best in the country, recently ranking gold for teaching excellence in the recent Teaching Excellence Framework.

Hope that clears things up.

^Kam
Hey everyone - we're still here over the holidays, which can be a stressful period when it comes to UCAS applications. Just message us with any questions!

^Dec
Hi my names Aminah, and I applied for Aston early October to study biomedical engineering and I still haven’t heard anything back and i have friends who had applied after me and have received offers, I just wanted to know if I should contact the admissions team directly to query ? Thanks so much
Original post by aminah12
Hi my names Aminah, and I applied for Aston early October to study biomedical engineering and I still haven’t heard anything back and i have friends who had applied after me and have received offers, I just wanted to know if I should contact the admissions team directly to query ? Thanks so much

Hi Aminah,

Hearing nothing back from us is necessarily a bad thing, I remember when I applied to Aston, my reply came back much later compared to people in my class.

The admissions team will reply to you. Just hold tight and they will give you a decision soon.

^Kam
How much is rent for oncampus accommodation ?
Original post by hannah00
How much is rent for oncampus accommodation ?

Hi Hannah,

It all depends which type of accommodation you will be staying at, for example, per week at William Murdoch will set you back £136 for a 5 bed en-suite.

You can find all the prices on our accommodation page - http://www.aston.ac.uk/accommodation/

^Kam
Conditional Offer for Computer Science BSc
Conditional Offer for Engineering and Applied Sciences Foundation Programme.

Couldn't be more happy. I've been wanting to go to this uni for the last 3 years.
Name: Rachel
A Levels: Sociology, English Lit, Psychology, General studies

Applying for: Sociology
Also applied to: Leeds, Liverpool, Northumbria, Nottingham Trent

I have an unconditional offer from Aston, the more I think about it the more I think I’ll go for it. I got a great vibe from the uni and I loved the big emphasis on placements.
International Business UG here, feel free to ask any questions if you're looking at that general subject area!
Original post by chausettes
Name: Rachel
A Levels: Sociology, English Lit, Psychology, General studies

Applying for: Sociology
Also applied to: Leeds, Liverpool, Northumbria, Nottingham Trent

I have an unconditional offer from Aston, the more I think about it the more I think I’ll go for it. I got a great vibe from the uni and I loved the big emphasis on placements.

Hey, glad to hear! I'm accepting my unconditional too! :smile: what are you're predicted A Levels?
Original post by BassBoy123
Hey, glad to hear! I'm accepting my unconditional too! :smile: what are you're predicted A Levels?

I’m predicted AAA (including general studies lol) and I also already have a B in sociology because I did 3 years at college. Personally I suck under exam pressure so I doubt I’ll achieve them which is why an unconditional offer is so appealing.
What are you going to study?

Quick Reply

Latest