Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any third party virus protection firewall etc. I turned off windows firewall completely and still get the same error. I don't understand
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sethste)
    I don't have any third party virus protection firewall etc. I turned off windows firewall completely and still get the same error. I don't understand
    Hi there! :wavey:

Please don't bump old threads. I have moved your post to a brand new thread to get you more replies

What error do you get? :hmmmm2:

ReputationRep:
    i gave up with Chrome... now using Opera without any problems.

ReputationRep:
    I get the same error if I use offline installer: "Unable to connect to the internet. If you use a firewall, please whitelist GoogleUpdate.exe"
    I have white listed and eventually turned off windows firewall completely to test. I have given permissions on our network firewall and still no luck. Every other computer on the network will download and install Google chrome. I have uninstalled and reinstalled internet explorer. The computer is completely up to date.
    The computer in question is a Dell optiplex 3010 windows 7 64bit. I tried installing firefox and I'm getting the same problem. I despise internet explorer for all of the kinks that have not been worked out. I've looked all over the internet and haven't found a fix yet. If I try to download the online installer it tells me to enable TLS 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 on the internet explorer advance settings. All of these settings are already in use. I defaulted the IE settings and defaulted the firewall settings. I've never had this much trouble. I'm about to go office space on this machine.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I get the same error if I use offline installer: "Unable to connect to the internet. If you use a firewall, please whitelist GoogleUpdate.exe"
    I have white listed and eventually turned off windows firewall completely to test. I have given permissions on our network firewall and still no luck. Every other computer on the network will download and install Google chrome. I have uninstalled and reinstalled internet explorer. The computer is completely up to date.
    The computer in question is a Dell optiplex 3010 windows 7 64bit. I tried installing firefox and I'm getting the same problem. I despise internet explorer for all of the kinks that have not been worked out. I've looked all over the internet and haven't found a fix yet. If I try to download the online installer it tells me to enable TLS 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 on the internet explorer advance settings. All of these settings are already in use. I defaulted the IE settings and defaulted the firewall settings. I've never had this much trouble. I'm about to go office space on this machine.
    It sounds like a corrupt file which has caused all of this. Try deleting the Google chrome files, and re-install Chrome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    It sounds like a corrupt file which has caused all of this. Try deleting the Google chrome files, and re-install Chrome
    That's the thing, I never had chrome on that computer. It was an attempt at a fresh install. I just read that it is a virus on a Microsoft forum. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...af4b042?auth=1

I'm going to try and run some anti malware tools to get rid of whatever it may be.
    If not I'll go back to factory. If that doesn't work I'm taking it out back and shooting it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing, I never had chrome on that computer. It was an attempt at a fresh install. I just read that it is a virus on a Microsoft forum. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...af4b042?auth=1

I'm going to try and run some anti malware tools to get rid of whatever it may be.
    If not I'll go back to factory. If that doesn't work I'm taking it out back and shooting it.
    Yes, but have you tried uninstalling chrome, then re-installing it?

I doubt it's a virus :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    Yes, but have you tried uninstalling chrome, then re-installing it?

I doubt it's a virus :erm:
    That's what I'm saying. It was never on the computer. It was a fresh install and the download file would open a new window which told me it couldn't connect. Then when I did the offline download it allowed me to download the install file. I ran as admin and as a regular user; it just tells me that I need to white list it. Which I have done. I have even turned windows firewall off to see if that is really the problem. It still gives the same error. So unless i'm missing something I cannot uninstall chrome when I never had it in the first place.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    That's what I'm saying. It was never on the computer. It was a fresh install and the download file would open a new window which told me it couldn't connect. Then when I did the offline download it allowed me to download the install file. I ran as admin and as a regular user; it just tells me that I need to white list it. Which I have done. I have even turned windows firewall off to see if that is really the problem. It still gives the same error. So unless i'm missing something I cannot uninstall chrome when I never had it in the first place.
    Sorry, I didn't see you said the installer :toofunny:

Try installing this version of Chrome: http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?standalone=1

Use Firefox instead, it is better anyway.

ReputationRep:
      I solved my issue. I followed these instructions on https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/111996?hl=en.
      The bit in particular that fixed the issue was this:
      "Make sure tools.google.com and dl.google.com aren't blocked."
      I went on to my corporate firewall and made an entry to allow these two url's and it allowed me get the newest version of Chrome.
      Funny thing is that I downloaded adobe flash player and there was a download google chrome and set as default browser check boxes already checked.
      I went ahead to see if it would work and it did. So I ended up getting stuck with an older version of chrome until I did the fix above.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.