Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best A Level choices for medicine? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    After A levels, I would like to go on to study medicine. At the moment I will definitely be doing biology & chemistry but I don't know what to choose for my other two options. I have been studying ancient greek for just over a year and I am thinking of taking it as an AS along with bio & chem. Would physics A level be too much work? In your opinion what should I take/what will fit well with biology and chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    maths chem physics and bio
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CR02)
    After A levels, I would like to go on to study medicine. At the moment I will definitely be doing biology & chemistry but I don't know what to choose for my other two options. I have been studying ancient greek for just over a year and I am thinking of taking it as an AS along with bio & chem. Would physics A level be too much work? In your opinion what should I take/what will fit well with biology and chemistry?
    Most medschools don't mind about your 3rd A-level. If you prefer Greek to Physics then study Greek.

Cambridge is a notable exception where the vast majority will have 3 sciences.

I'll move your thread to the Medicine forum where you can see a number of threads asking a similar question

ReputationRep:
    maths i guess. I'm in year 12 doing Bio Chem Maths. Previously I was doing Bio/Chem/History/French but I was advised to just do maths instead. Kinda regret dropping history as I'm not that good at maths.

ReputationRep:
    Something you can get an A minimum in.

ReputationRep:
    Maths Bio Chem

ReputationRep:
    Seriously do not guess what subjects you need, look it up! Its so easy, just go to different university websites and look at the entry requirements for Medicine degress; it'll tell you exactly what subjects you should take
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Maths, biology, chemistry, physics and EPQ (optional)

ReputationRep:
    Maths, chemistry and biology would most likely be the best options
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend doing maths. The reason behind this is that maths is much easier to understand and practice and you have good maths teachers whereas you rarely find good physics teachers and the concepts are harder to understand imo.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds weird but think about which universities you may want to apply to. Some actually put a higher weighting (or at least used to!) on non-science subjects which could be the difference in getting an offer. But I feel much has changed, so it would definitely be worth doing some research into it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.