Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a first year student at Oxford, studying PPE.
    I feel just so overwhelmed and while everybody else seems to manage to do everything they need to, I just struggle to keep on top of my work. I always scrape deadlines, my work is always bad / the worst of all people I spoke to and I am constantly stressed. I feel terrible sometimes and all I want is leave. But on the other hand there's some parts I really like, everything's fine except that it is just all too much and I just cannot handle it.
    I feel like I just don't belong here, everybody else is just so much better than me. I don't know what to do if I left... I am an international student and I think about going back "home" and study in my country because honestly, one of my difficulties is the foreign language here.
    I just take so much longer than others to read all the stuff. In my first language, I am a very fast reader and in English I am average speed at best so that takes a lot of my time. For mathsy questions, I often cannot explain what I mean in English and I sometimes do not get the questions because of the wording.
    What do you think? Does it sound like I should drop out? I really don't know... Oxford has been my dream but it's a nightmare right now.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think 4 weeks is enough time to make a decision like this one. Everyone improves over time and you likely aren't an exception. If speed and understanding is your problem, then surely more practice reading and setting a little time aside to do so is your best option, rather than dropping out of university, especially one that people dedicate their lives to going to and never get to do so. Maybe try reading some English literature in your travel or spare time, or even just before bed. But I'd imagine over time, you will adapt to your environment and your ability and pace will adjust themself to the situation accordingly. Things aren't set in stone at this point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student234567)
    I feel just so overwhelmed and while everybody else seems to manage to do everything they need to, I just struggle to keep on top of my work. I always scrape deadlines, my work is always bad / the worst of all people I spoke to and I am constantly stressed. I feel terrible sometimes and all I want is leave. But on the other hand there's some parts I really like, everything's fine except that it is just all too much and I just cannot handle it.
    I feel like I just don't belong here, everybody else is just so much better than me. I don't know what to do if I left... I am an international student and I think about going back "home" and study in my country because honestly, one of my difficulties is the foreign language here.
    I just take so much longer than others to read all the stuff. In my first language, I am a very fast reader and in English I am average speed at best so that takes a lot of my time. For mathsy questions, I often cannot explain what I mean in English and I sometimes do not get the questions because of the wording.
    What do you think? Does it sound like I should drop out? I really don't know... Oxford has been my dream but it's a nightmare right now.
    It sounds like your issues will improve with practice, so give it at least a term. You should also speak to your tutors. It's great that there are bits that you still manage to enjoy. I think that you're going to make it through this, which will give you quite a sense of achievement. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    "Sometimes, it is only the student's pure passion for their subject, that is enough to see them through difficult times".
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student234567)
    The feelings of being overwhelmed by the workload and that everyone else is coping so much better than you are extremely common. People post with exactly the same problem here on TSR on a regular basis. Look - here's a thread started by someone else only 6 days ago with the same issue; four weeks in is when it starts to hit you, but no doubt there will be similar threads posted towards the end of Michaelmas and in the run-up to Prelims too!

That's not to say that you don't have a problem. but from personal experience, I can assure you that it is possible to go from feeling that you are completely out of your depth to graduating with a First.
    As RogerOxon says, the first thing to do is to speak with your tutor. Also consider speaking with the pastoral care people at your college and the Student Union Welfare services. They are used to dealing with this issue on a very regular basis. I would also urge you to do your best to talk this over with your fellow PPE-ists or whoever you feel friendly towards - you may be able to work out practical ways of sharing some of the load. Having a supportive friendship network can make a big difference in any case. Now that you are getting a sense of the workload, rigorous timetabling and self-organisation - including the judicious skipping of some parts of the curriculum - is also key.

EDIT: this is why I made the Coping With Oxford thread

ReputationRep:
    In my very first lecture (English, not PPE, though), the lecturer asked everyone who thought they were the stupidest person in the room to put up their hand. I'd say around 90% of the 200-odd people in that lecture theatre raised their hands.

You're doing just fine. It's cliché, but it's hard to adjust to being one among many very capable people, when you're used to being near the top. A huge number of other students (if not most other students) will have thoughts very similar to the ones you're describing here. They - like most people - are just pretty good at hiding it.

Chin up. Speak to your tutors. Try to find a way to unwind (sport, student journalism, drama, societies, whatever); it's really important for your sanity, and will probably help you to be more productive during your working hours. It's easier said than done, but try not to leave everything until the last minute. If you're struggling to plan/organise your time in such a way that allows you to get some work done earlier in the week, your tutors/senior students should be able to offer some advice. Most of all, keep paddling, at least until you've given it a fair shot. Virtually everyone feels out of their depth to begin with, but you can and will adapt. Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.