Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I got my provisional driving licence today! - But what does it mean? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have finally got my provisional driving licence today, but I am not sure on what it exactly means and how is it different to a normal driving licence.

Sorry if my question sounds a bit weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ukvoltaire)
    I have finally got my provisional driving licence today, but I am not sure on what it exactly means and how is it different to a normal driving licence.

Your provisional means you can only drive under the supervision of someone over 21 whose had their license for over 3 years. Once you get a full license you can drive on your own

ReputationRep:
    Provisional means that you are only allowed to drive with a supervisor, displaying "L" plates and not on motorways, amoungst other restrictions, it means you are able to drive on the road as you learn, once you pass your test (theory and practical) the restrictions are lifted and you can drive freely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    Your provisional means you can only drive under the supervision of someone over 21 whose had their license for over 3 years. Once you get a full license you can drive on your own
    Ok! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaguarLover101)
    Provisional means that you are only allowed to drive with a supervisor, displaying "L" plates and not on motorways, amoungst other restrictions, it means you are able to drive on the road as you learn, once you pass your test (theory and practical) the restrictions are lifted and you can drive freely.
    Thank you!

(Original post by JaguarLover101)
      Provisional means that you are only allowed to drive with a supervisor, displaying "L" plates and not on motorways, amoungst other restrictions, it means you are able to drive on the road as you learn, once you pass your test (theory and practical) the restrictions are lifted and you can drive expensively.
      Corrected.

There are still restrictions tho. Like 70mph limit, no roads have a faster limit but plenty have even lower limits. There are also countries which may or may not permit a British driving license. It is not yet clear whether certain licenses will be restricted from driving on other moons/planets should that ever become possible. There are already automated vehicles on Mars for which no license is currently required.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ukvoltaire)

Hi there! :wavey:

This thread should be in the Learning to drive forum. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.