I got my provisional driving licence today! - But what does it mean? Watch

Ukvoltaire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have finally got my provisional driving licence today, but I am not sure on what it exactly means and how is it different to a normal driving licence.

Sorry if my question sounds a bit weird.
Jackieox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ukvoltaire)
I have finally got my provisional driving licence today, but I am not sure on what it exactly means and how is it different to a normal driving licence.

Your provisional means you can only drive under the supervision of someone over 21 whose had their license for over 3 years. Once you get a full license you can drive on your own
JaguarLover101
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Provisional means that you are only allowed to drive with a supervisor, displaying "L" plates and not on motorways, amoungst other restrictions, it means you are able to drive on the road as you learn, once you pass your test (theory and practical) the restrictions are lifted and you can drive freely.
Ukvoltaire
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jackieox)
Your provisional means you can only drive under the supervision of someone over 21 whose had their license for over 3 years. Once you get a full license you can drive on your own
Ok! Thank you!
Ukvoltaire
Rep:
?
(Original post by JaguarLover101)
Provisional means that you are only allowed to drive with a supervisor, displaying "L" plates and not on motorways, amoungst other restrictions, it means you are able to drive on the road as you learn, once you pass your test (theory and practical) the restrictions are lifted and you can drive freely.
Thank you!
Laomedeia
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JaguarLover101)
Provisional means that you are only allowed to drive with a supervisor, displaying "L" plates and not on motorways, amoungst other restrictions, it means you are able to drive on the road as you learn, once you pass your test (theory and practical) the restrictions are lifted and you can drive expensively.
Corrected.

There are still restrictions tho. Like 70mph limit, no roads have a faster limit but plenty have even lower limits. There are also countries which may or may not permit a British driving license. It is not yet clear whether certain licenses will be restricted from driving on other moons/planets should that ever become possible. There are already automated vehicles on Mars for which no license is currently required.
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ukvoltaire)

Hi there! :wavey:

This thread should be in the Learning to drive forum. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (135)
17.74%
It's just nice to be back! (204)
26.81%
Not great so far... (273)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (149)
19.58%

Watched Threads