Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm hopefully heading on the BC in April. Just posting to see if anyone has been out there, any recommendations?

I'm struggling with the portal system - who do folk get to complete the AMFC immunisation form? My GP says its not him, and AMFC themselves don't seem to know. The UBC don't know either?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm also hoping to make it out to BC for elective period 2018. Ive visited Vancouver in the past and loved it so am hoping to get a place at Vancouver gen. I haven't registered on the portal system yet but does the registration fee let you apply to more than one post in BC? As for your immunisations form, I'd have your med school elective team look at it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also hopefully heading there - not applied yet due to the immunisation forms and problems with occ health but should be applying to Vancouver this week

Anyone heard anything about how much time we'll have to actually see the place?

(Original post by spark312)
    Hi,

I'm hopefully heading on the BC in April. Just posting to see if anyone has been out there, any recommendations?

I'm struggling with the portal system - who do folk get to complete the AMFC immunisation form? My GP says its not him, and AMFC themselves don't seem to know. The UBC don't know either?
    Canadian medicals are weird. I went last year- so the immunisations record you get from your universities occupational health.
    You have to then do a Canadian visa medical (even if you're travelling on a VWP). This is done through approved doctors in the uk; let me find you the link for the list of these doctors.

Here it is: http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx
    Also if you can't find UK on that list it's because Canada has decided to give all the UK countries independence and listed them all separately.

ReputationRep:
    For people looking at this for next year...

How it works.
    Register with the portal system. https://www.afmcstudentportal.ca

Each university has its own application system on portal. I applied only to Toronto even though I originally wanted to go to Vancouver.

Toronto has a lottery system, I entered the lottery for free in novegebr for the Apr-Jun period. Securing a lottery ticket means you're guaranteed a placement (subject to meeting their requirements) although not necessarily for a placement you want. With the lottery ticket you can then apply for one of a long list of programmes during the time that suits you. The maximum period allowed is 4 weeks. I applied to ICU and Anaesthetics, but ended up with my 3rd choice of Trauma and General Surgery. When you apply for a programme, it'll ask you to submit your learning objectives for the placement, effectively you build your own elective. This is when you pay. When you submit this application they'll expect a list of other documents; a letter from your uni confirming the elective, their immunisation form (start early on this!!!!!! You can submit partially completed) plus a few other easier ones. You then get an update to finish the rest of the requirements at set points later on. Overall, this has been a very expensive process. If I knew the cost of random stuff (like 432 pounds on immigration medical) I would of gone elsewhere. However I'm off in May, hopefully this will be worth the money and effort!!!!

Vancouver seemed to be you pay for the application, with a risk of being rejected and losing 50% of the money. The lottery system of Toronto at least guaranteed you an elective for the price. I may be wrong, someone please correct me if I am!

Immunisation Form - for UK citizens you'll need another Diphtheria vaccine (as we get them as a baby, Canada wants you to have one after the age of 18). This can be a surprisingly hard vaccine to get as the NHS takes all the supply for their vaccination programme. It's worth contacting pharmacies to ask about this - ones that run a travel clinic etc. You'll also need TWO TST tests. The BCG doesn't matter. These can be done through the TB team at your hospital - they'll be bewildered that you have to have two TSTs, but you will have to get two TSTs!

Hope that helps a little. As for Visa, I've got the immigration medical, but will be entering on a standard tourist visa. No idea how it becomes the R186 visa you read online. Hopefully it'll do.

ReputationRep:
    Hey man, I’m also heading to Canada in May for elective, got a space in Vancouver for icu, so happy days but as you said was a very spenny process with a fair amount of maybes. But managed to get my second choice after only applying in like late Jan/feb (like literally by the deadline)You mentioned immigration medical - what is that ?

I’ve kind of been on the assumption that a ‘eTA’ (the $7 electronic visa thing for people from visa-exempt countries - such as UK) would be enough - partly on the basis that they’ve not asked me to do any extra visa things and they seem to be very direct about what we need to do before getting there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spark312)
    For people looking at this for next year...

Hope that helps a little. As for Visa, I've got the immigration medical, but will be entering on a standard tourist visa. No idea how it becomes the R186 visa you read online. Hopefully it'll do.
    Forgot to reply but if you could shed any light on the above would be super appreciative

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'll be in Vancouver from early May for my elective. I got a space at the British Colombia Children's Hospital. Also finding the medical exam / visa difficult to sort out and confusing. Any advice will be appreciated. Will an ETA + a medical exam be enough ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking a miss on the medical and just going for eta, I found about that too late

(Original post by Dr00n)
    I'm taking a miss on the medical and just going for eta, I found about that too late
    If it's a clinical elective
    You won't be allowed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If it's a clinical elective
    You won't be allowed
    Pm because they've not mentioned necessity of a visa at any point

ReputationRep:
    I'm also doing by elective in Vancouver but in July. I am quite confused about what visa we need and if the medical is compulsory? Is the eTA visa sufficient?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BP28)
    I'm also doing by elective in Vancouver but in July. I am quite confused about what visa we need and if the medical is compulsory? Is the eTA visa sufficient?
    im just going eta

(Original post by Dr00n)
    Pm because they've not mentioned necessity of a visa at any point
    Nothing to do with a visa, it's because you'll be in contact with patients.
    Here's the link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ents.html#jobs

ReputationRep:
    Hi, do you know if the eTA visa is sufficient or do we need a temporary resident visa?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2018
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.