Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was I wrong to do this? Watch

Announcements

So I broke up with my boyfriend of 5 years. I also have a best friend whom I was friends with since I was 10. (I am 21 now)

So me and my ex had a messy break up and we ended our relationship on bad terms and haven't spoken since. Obviously I was very hurt by the way things ended so I obviously turn to my friend for support. This whole time I have been crying to her and told her stuff in confidence. I told her my darkest secrets things I haven't told anyone not even my ex.

So just 3 weeks after my break up I find out that she is dating my ex. I still have very strong feeling for my ex. 5 years is a very long time and I can't just turn my feeling of

So obviously I confront her about this and she tells me she's not doing anything wrong and it's not like she slept with him while we were together. I told her I'm very hurt and I no longer want to continue my friendship with her.

And then she drops a huge bombshell and tells me that she told my mum I had an abortion (only her and my ex knew) it was one of my secrets and i told her not to tell my mum knowing how conservative she is.

I became very angry and said some very harsh things which ended up with her slapping me across the face. She had rings and braclets on so it left my face with a huge red mark and i was bleeding a little bit. I just storm of and call the police

I told the police what happened and they arrested her that night with suspicion of assault. I told my ex and everyone what I did and now they are calling me a grass and a fake friend etc

I honestly feel horrible. I'm not gonna press charges. I only wanted to teach her a lesson and now everyone hates me. I said some very harsh things and I take responsibility for the things that I said and I wish i hadn't said those things

I just feel so lost and hurt and no one understands me at all...

ReputationRep:
    I think you did the right thing, she can't just assault you because she didn't like being confronted. What you said might not have been nice, but it doesn't warrant a physical attack. Of course you'd be angry after discovering all that.

Just a heads up, though, if the police believe there's enough grounds/evidence to prosecute it doesn't matter if you want them to press charges or not. They can take it from there and you could be asked to attend court. Have you given a statement?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I broke up with my boyfriend of 5 years. I also have a best friend whom I was friends with since I was 10. (I am 21 now)

So me and my ex had a messy break up and we ended our relationship on bad terms and haven't spoken since. Obviously I was very hurt by the way things ended so I obviously turn to my friend for support. This whole time I have been crying to her and told her stuff in confidence. I told her my darkest secrets things I haven't told anyone not even my ex.

So just 3 weeks after my break up I find out that she is dating my ex. I still have very strong feeling for my ex. 5 years is a very long time and I can't just turn my feeling of

So obviously I confront her about this and she tells me she's not doing anything wrong and it's not like she slept with him while we were together. I told her I'm very hurt and I no longer want to continue my friendship with her.

And then she drops a huge bombshell and tells me that she told my mum I had an abortion (only her and my ex knew) it was one of my secrets and i told her not to tell my mum knowing how conservative she is.

I became very angry and said some very harsh things which ended up with her slapping me across the face. She had rings and braclets on so it left my face with a huge red mark and i was bleeding a little bit. I just storm of and call the police

I told the police what happened and they arrested her that night with suspicion of assault. I told my ex and everyone what I did and now they are calling me a grass and a fake friend etc

I honestly feel horrible. I'm not gonna press charges. I only wanted to teach her a lesson and now everyone hates me. I said some very harsh things and I take responsibility for the things that I said and I wish i hadn't said those things

I just feel so lost and hurt and no one understands me at all...
    As hard as it may sound i feel like you need to completely lose contact with your friend and try to move on from it. She clearly is doing things out of spite and may even just be with your ex boyfriend to get a reaction from you.
    What she did was wrong but you have also made mistakes too, but the important thing to note here is that you can't change the past and there are so many amazing people out there who would not do this to you, you just need to find them.
    Also, it might be a good idea to have a chat with your mum and explain everything that has happened and your reasoning behind having an abortion.
    Try not to overthink the situation. Blocking these people out of your life may be hard but i feel like if you were to remain friends there will always be a tension surrounding your friendship and you will end up becoming more frustrated and upset.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe your blaming yourself for this. Blame that "friend" of yours. I can totally understand the betrayal and honestly you need to put that girl in her place.

ReputationRep:
    She deserved everything she got, you did the right thing. Time to ditch her and find better friends.

ReputationRep:
    You were completely right. Assault is not acceptable regardless of the circumstances. She injured you, she deserves to get a record for it. If she loses her temper that easily, who knows what she could do next.

It sounds like you're better off without your ex if he's willing to sleep with your best friend so soon after breaking up with you. You need to distance yourself from both of them, dust yourself off and take some time to recover and heal. Then, get back out there and live your life.

ReputationRep:
    No you're not. I'd go ahead and press charges.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.