Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Due to a change in my circumstances, I need to arrange childcare for my two young children whilst I'm at uni.
    I'm currently on a Hons degree with a foundation year, and this is my first year. When I originally applied for finance I didn't apply for childcare grant as I didn't need it then. However now I need to arrange childcare and have some questions I was hoping you could help with:

1. My son is currently in nursery and get 15 hours free early years. I will need to put him in nursery full time from Monday and this will cost £70 a week. If I put him in full time nursery and pay their fees myself, once the childcare grant application is approved, will they backdate the costs I have paid?

2. I am looking to employ a Ofsted registered home childcarer to look after my children after school.
    Technically they will be classed as being "employed" by myself as I will be paying them and stipulating the hours I need them to work.
    I've seen on the CCG1 form it states the following: What kinds of childcare will qualify? As long as your childcare provider is registered with, or approved by, an appropriate body such as OFSTED, you can claim Childcare Grant.
    Will using a home childcarer be eligible for the childcare grant?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Star_999,

From 2017 the Westminster Government introduced a new 30 hours free childcare package available to working parents of three to four year old's (some two year old's may also apply). This provision runs alongside the existing 15 hours free package but has different eligibility criteria. Those who meet this eligibility will be able to receive 30 hours free childcare a week from the Government so I would recommend you look into this if you haven't already to see if you would be eligible for that.

You can apply to student finance for any childcare over and above the amount the Government are paying. You can apply to us for Childcare Grant (CCG) to pay 85% of your childcare costs which for the 2017/18 academic year is capped at a maximum of £159.59 per week for one child. Once your CCG is approved, you would get a new Notification of Entitlement (NOE) letter sent to confirm the amount awarded and any payments that you would have missed would be backdated and paid to you within three to five working days after that.

A home-based childcare provider would be absolutely fine as long as they have their valid Ofsted registration.

Thanks

Laura

Submit reply
TSR Support Team
Updated: November 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.