Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do some people cover their chips in Ketchup/Mayo? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Most anyway. Not being funny but they love the stuff. It's gross ando messy so I don't see the appeal.

ReputationRep:
    I know. just put it on the side, the makes the chips soggy anyways

ReputationRep:
    I know I always think it's a waste of chips. I'm a purist I like my chips to be crispy with nothing but salt on them.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer cheese and curry sauce on my chips.

Apparently then I'm white :rofl:

ReputationRep:
      i know like why would you want soggy chips??? it's so gross

ReputationRep:
      I love my chips soaked in sauce. Every bite must be full of flavour and juiciness. It’s even better with baked beans and melted cheese. Mmmmmm (I’m Asian btw)

Also I don’t understand how you came up with the conclusion that only white people do it. :?
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
      Burger sauce or garlic sauce for me

Generally, though, it's just British culture. I see a lot of black folks in my local chippie and they always request bare ketchup on their chips.

(Original post by Xenice)
        Also I don’t understand how you came up with the conclusion that only white people do it. :?
        I don't understand how you came up with the conclusion that OP said only white people do it. :?

ReputationRep:
        Soggy chips? I love tomato ketchup. I don't use a 1:1 ratio of sauce and chip though. The only way they could be soggy is if you use too much sauce.

Tomato ketchup is one of the best condiments and so is sweet chilli, sweet curry, brown sauce, mint and whatever I have missed. (Mayonnaise is nasty, so is mustard, cheese and all the nasty bitter ones.)

If you use the right amount you might like the taste of the mix.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
        I don't understand how you came up with the conclusion that OP said only white people do it. :?
        Idk I must’ve misinterpreted the thread title. Sorry OP. :?

ReputationRep:
        I don't cover it, I agree that's messy. Usually put ketchup on the side and dip the chips into it

ReputationRep:
        Personally I think we need to draw a distinction between fries, which should be accompanied by mayo on the side, and chippy style chips, which should be covered in salt and vinegar, or maybe curry sauce as suggested above.

ReputationRep:
        I like chilli sauce and mayo on mine

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
        Burger sauce or garlic sauce for me

Generally, though, it's just British culture. I see a lot of black folks in my local chippie and they always request bare ketchup on their chips.

black people are much more into fried chicken

Since I moved away from London to a white area to my dismay I've noticed the place has barely any chicken shops and mainly just fish and chips shops ..and the odd kebab shop

white people love fish n' chips
        black people love chicken

ReputationRep:
        Well I'm not white and I do that...

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ANM775)
        black people are much more into fried chicken

Since I moved away from London to a white area to my dismay I've noticed the place has barely any chicken shops and mainly just fish and chips shops ..and the odd kebab shop

white people love fish n' chips
        black people love chicken
        There are a lot of chicken shops in my area, is the thing, but the local chippie is rammed with all sorts of folks in the evenings getting their fish and chips.

ReputationRep:
        If it is mayo, then Belgian heritage. If you have chips in Belgium and ask for ketchup, it gives you away as non-local.

ReputationRep:
        Curry sauce and chips :coma: I usually don’t have ketchup lol

(Original post by KingHarold)
          If it is mayo, then Belgian heritage. If you have chips in Belgium and ask for ketchup, it gives you away as non-local.

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2017
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.