Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I started uni last year but I dropped out after my first year as I didn't like that particular uni. I have now started at a new one and I love it, however my course is 4 years long. It really bothers me that I will have been at uni for 5 years, I'll be 23 when I graduate and also I'll be at uni for 2 years longer than all my friends from home. I want a degree but I would like to get it done fairly quickly so that I can start working and saving money etc. I can't say that I'm totally passionate about my course, I like it and I would like to get a degree under my belt but I may or may not use it after I graduate. It seems like my options are to stick with it, to go back to my old uni (so I would graduate sooner but then I'd have the same problems as before), or to drop out, but I don't know what else I'd do. Anyone have any advice?? Maybe I'm just worrying too much?

ReputationRep:
    Could you switch to doing it part time instead? Then you can get a job and start saving at the same time. I’m doing a part time degree at the moment and won’t graduate until I’m 26
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Could you switch to doing it part time instead? Then you can get a job and start saving at the same time. I’m doing a part time degree at the moment and won’t graduate until I’m 26

ReputationRep:
    del1rious that's true thank you

ReputationRep:
    What's the degree and what do you want to do when you graduate?

ReputationRep:
    Student-95 it's French and Italian, and I'm not even sure right now, but I'm not super bothered about having a massive career, I'd be happy with an average job tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebe.lawson)
    Student-95 it's French and Italian, and I'm not even sure right now, but I'm not super bothered about having a massive career, I'd be happy with an average job tbh
    Do you need a degree at all then? You could spend the next few years earning money and experience instead of building debt.

ReputationRep:
    Student-95 that's what I'm wondering, but I do want to go to uni and have the experience. But thanks that's helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I got sick of sitting around at university living in a s**t room and having to buy Tesco value everything. The university life was not for me so I just dropped out, got a trainee position at my place of work and am doing the degree to go with it part time, all the time commuting from home and having a decent standard of living.

There isn’t a right or wrong way to do things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by del1rious)
    I got sick of sitting around at university living in a s**t room and having to buy Tesco value everything. The university life was not for me so I just dropped out, got a trainee position at my place of work and am doing the degree to go with it part time, all the time commuting from home and having a decent standard of living.

There isn’t a right or wrong way to do things!
    Definintly nothing wrong with that but it sounds like the op isnt bothered about getting a degree (the main point of going to uni) and just wants the 'uni lifestyle'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebe.lawson)
    Student-95 that's what I'm wondering, but I do want to go to uni and have the experience. But thanks that's helpful.
    It is an incredibly expensive 'experience'

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.