Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

So I’m in year 11 and am currently deciding what to do after my GCSE’s. I know I want to do my a levels, however I can’t decide where. I would like to get an apprenticeship in law, but first I have to do my a levels. I am thinking about doing essay based subjects ie. history, English, phycology and business (although I know that’s not essay based). Unfortunately the college I’m looking at don’t offer business, however they do offer the other subjects that I’ve mentioned I’m interested in. So would business be a deal breaker when applying for my law apprenticeship (bearing in mind I am looking at corporate law)?

If I went to sixth form I would stay at my current school, which is within walking distance of my house. Where as if I went to college I would have to pay for a bus.

So from your experience and research which would be better (in general and for what I am hoping to do)? Please give reasons to justify your opinion. Thank you 😊

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 12 and I go to a sixth form. I'm not too sure in terms of law what the best is but:
    The perks of sixth form are that your timetable is regular so you don't have to worry about lifts and getting home and buses etc. You will however, depending on what sixth form you go to, have to stay in school until school hours are over/ you have only frees left for the day. At the beginning you may begin to feel a little behind everyone else who has gone to college and it can be quite tense. But as you settle down, you realise that it's a good thing and you watch college students realising the novelty dies down. In sixth form, I'm very productive because we're provided with actual working environments and persuaded to work and pushed which is brilliant for achieving the top grades and as someone who struggles with depression, it gives me an environment where I have to work and I actually lowkey enjoy it? It's weird.
    The teachers do treat you more like adults, they allow you to go to the toilet, they are more lenient, they allow you to take drinks to lesson. If you follow their rules and respect them and get the work done, you'll thrive.
    Colleges will treat you like adults too but they aren't as invested in making sure you're education is as smooth as can be and don't provide much resources. However, I'm very, very biased as I like sixth form life and have seen my best friend who goes to the local college suffer as her friends don't share frees with her anymore and she just goes home during her frees which isn't good for her she says.
    I feel like I rambled a lot but if you have any questions, let me know. I hope this helped and good luck in your GCSEs! Remember, decisions aren't final until results day, you can apply to many colleges and many people move in the first couple of weeks

ReputationRep:
    well, couple of my friends literally regret going to sixth form, like yh it offers the subjects u may wanna do, but would u seriously want to stay in the same school for another 2 years? see the same teachers every single day, atleast with college ur in a whole new environment and ur actually treated like a college student and yh like the guy who above who wrote some long ass paragraph, at the end of the day its about how much u wanna study them subjects and doing well in ur GCSE's is the first step and college is much more free, like do u get wat im sayin, like i wanted to go sixth form, but i changed my mind bcuz college offers a much more variety of subjetcs that u may have never thought of doing, but good luck xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeletonclique21)
    I'm in Year 12 and I go to a sixth form. I'm not too sure in terms of law what the best is but:
    The perks of sixth form are that your timetable is regular so you don't have to worry about lifts and getting home and buses etc. You will however, depending on what sixth form you go to, have to stay in school until school hours are over/ you have only frees left for the day. At the beginning you may begin to feel a little behind everyone else who has gone to college and it can be quite tense. But as you settle down, you realise that it's a good thing and you watch college students realising the novelty dies down. In sixth form, I'm very productive because we're provided with actual working environments and persuaded to work and pushed which is brilliant for achieving the top grades and as someone who struggles with depression, it gives me an environment where I have to work and I actually lowkey enjoy it? It's weird.
    The teachers do treat you more like adults, they allow you to go to the toilet, they are more lenient, they allow you to take drinks to lesson. If you follow their rules and respect them and get the work done, you'll thrive.
    Colleges will treat you like adults too but they aren't as invested in making sure you're education is as smooth as can be and don't provide much resources. However, I'm very, very biased as I like sixth form life and have seen my best friend who goes to the local college suffer as her friends don't share frees with her anymore and she just goes home during her frees which isn't good for her she says.
    I feel like I rambled a lot but if you have any questions, let me know. I hope this helped and good luck in your GCSEs! Remember, decisions aren't final until results day, you can apply to many colleges and many people move in the first couple of weeks
    Thank you for your reply. I will bear this in mind, and it’s great that you’re enjoying sixth form so far 😁

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.